open wall space with Klipschorn

steve

I've had my Khorns for 23 years now..I just now got them tucked into the REAL corners in my music room, after (A) having them out from the real corners due to obstacles and (B) in half false corners to clear same obstacles. I cleared abovementioned obstacles by taking an electric hammer to the concrete footing on the left side, effectively removing about 18 inches of it so the left speaker tucked in, and also by modifying my heater register on the right side by cutting some of the sheet metal and removing some heat dispersing fins to allow the tailboard to tuck into the real corner. False corners are gone..maybe it's in my head, but I detect more bass..here's my question.

The speakers are 21 feet apart. (I have a Belle to fill the center) I've always adhered to the rule of keeping 4 feet of both adjoining walls clear of anything..i.e.bare walls..would I gain anything by adding more? I have my CD racks on the front wall, starting at the 4 foot mark from the corner..but I COULD move them to the back wall, ensuring about 8 feet of bare front wall starting at each speaker corner..would I have a better sound? Soundstage? Just curious..

always tweaking..

Thanx

Steve

I've had my Khorns for 23 years now..I just now got them tucked into the REAL corners in my music room, after (A) having them out from the real corners due to obstacles and (B) in half false corners to clear same obstacles. I cleared abovementioned obstacles by taking an electric hammer to the concrete footing on the left side, effectively removing about 18 inches of it so the left speaker tucked in, and also by modifying my heater register on the right side by cutting some of the sheet metal and removing some heat dispersing fins to allow the tailboard to tuck into the real corner. False corners are gone..maybe it's in my head, but I detect more bass..here's my question.

The speakers are 21 feet apart. (I have a Belle to fill the center) I've always adhered to the rule of keeping 4 feet of both adjoining walls clear of anything..i.e.bare walls..would I gain anything by adding more? I have my CD racks on the front wall, starting at the 4 foot mark from the corner..but I COULD move them to the back wall, ensuring about 8 feet of bare front wall starting at each speaker corner..would I have a better sound? Soundstage? Just curious..

always tweaking..

Thanx

Steve

I have been playin around with my room recently as well as reading about room accoustics and my take is this.

Anything btween your speakers on the front wall like a big screen tv or cd rack contributes to reflection back at you,idealy you want nothing in between and either absorb or desperse those reflections to effect the soundstage.

Greg

always tweaking..

Thanx

Steve

Steve-sounds like you are done f*****g around!!!!!!!!! Hats off!

Greg

that was kinda what I was thinking..I'm visualizing nothing in between the KHorns and the Belle..sounds logical that it'd be better anyway..

I might have to move the racks around..

Thanx

Steve

From what I understand,that is the first step then on to treatment for absorbtion or desperstion.I still have my bigscreen in place but have put massive absorbtion over it(couple of quilts)and the soundstage moved back behind the speakers a few feet,nuances of the music became clearer as well.The sound has been confirmed by a friend who thought I was full of you know what,his first comment after about 20 min was how the speakers dissappeared and the soundstage was further away.

Greg