Audio Espionage - From Usher with love?

maxg

Second meeting of the ACA that I have attended this year. Another big system - very big, with one item of interest to Jubilee chasers perhaps.

I won't stay cryptic for long - here are some pics of the system that should explain what I am thinking:

CIMG0393.JPG?dc=4675560844098383702

That is the system from about 15 feet away - and that is a 32 inch TV in the middle. Still not got the sense of size? Try this:

CIMG0395.JPG?dc=4675560844120008067

Now we are getting somewhere - that is Christos (El Presidente to us) and he is around 6 ft tall. The speaker is, therefore, about the size of the JMLab Utopia - but for one fifth of the price.

As you read that last piece of info I guess I don't have to tell you where they are made. Frankly they could only be made in China for anything less than ridiculous money for one simple reason, this:

CIMG0399.JPG?dc=4675560844143694016

And from another view:

CIMG0400.JPG?dc=4675560844167257479

What you are looking for is an all wood horn-loaded tweeter/midrange that looks VERY similar to something JBL have recently made. I don't know much of the technical specs about this unit but I understand it crosses over at 800 Hz from the dual 15 inch woofers.

If memory serves isn't 800 Hz where the Jubilee bass bin rolls off? Do we have a possible match here?

I spend the whole time last night wondering what would happen if you replaced the 15 inch woofers with Jubilee bass bins. The sound as it was, was impressive - but not perfect and one of the issues I think was the bass performance.

Interestingly we played with 2 amps during the listening sessions - a big tube amp (211?) with some serious output and a tiny little Tsakiridis 300B SET.

The SET was the sweeter by a country mile - and the midrange was to die for - but it couldn't rock to save its life (surprise surprise - this is a built-to-a-budget 8 watt tube with 4 15 inch woofers in front of it). The bigger amp could rock in spades - but it lost that glorious midrange and was quite harsh on top.

Anyway that mid/tweeter is a separate unit from the 2 bass bins - I wonder if it is sold separately? It looks an interesting Jubilee alternative - you might even be able to get away with no Xover at all!!!!

..."Anyway that mid/tweeter is a separate unit from the 2 bass bins - I wonder if it is sold separately? It looks an interesting Jubilee alternative - you might even be able to get away with no Xover at all!"

You're so right, Max...I just spent an hour Photoshoping a D2 horn to somebody's Jubilee. Damn, it looks good![;)] Wonder how it would actually sound though...[^o)] The color's a bit off (size, too), but you get my drift.

post-11084-13819281853218_thumb.jpg

Just as an update Tony thinks that mid/tweeter driver is sold separately for around 3000 euros ($3600).

Not a cheap option but what do you expect with that kind of wood on board - oh and there is a choice of finishes so you could probably find a match there somewhere.

That 21000 price sounds high - over here they are 13,000 euros - about $15-16,000 which makes them a more reasonable option.

I would also add that I do not think the bass is problematic necessarily - but the driving amplification may have been wrong for the setup.

According to Tony the system started to play a lot better after 3 hours or so on the 300B amps - he stayed a lot longer than me.

Other than that - I dont think it would ever be a speaker for me - but it was interesting all the same and that mid/tweeter really caught my eye.