Correct Width for Edgebanding--K-Horns

DoubleJ

What would/should be the correct width for replacing the edgebanding on K-Horns?

I do realize that it should be a little wider than the exact measurement but after looking at the widths available, I would have a large excess that would need to be trimmed off.

Is there a point where being too wide becomes a detriment?

Thanks

JJ

Nope!! There are still the same pair I rescued from bad home over a year ago. Slowing chipping away at them in efforts to get them into tip top shape. I've learned a lot over the past year tinkering around with these. All that is left is to patch some small nicks along the top of the bass bin and replace the edge banding. ( a Watco Danish Oil bath is on the list as well.)

I almost did buy a pair of really nice BR K-horns that were local but commonsense kicked in at the right moment. I don't need or have room for anymore speakers of that size.

JJ

DoubleJ - I'd love (and I'm sure others would like to see) photos of your project.

I've never even oiled mine since purchase back in December? and have been waiting for the search engine to come up. I think I'm going to use the Watco instead.

We're looking for another pair of khorns so if you see anything you're not interested in - give a holler? :)

Buy some 7/8" wide edge banding. You might have to buy a roll of it, but you can sale what's left over on ebay. You can buy contact adhesive in a 17 oz. spray can.

Glue on the edgebanding then trim it with a razor knive, but leave a little overhang. Sand the overhang flush with a hand held sanding block.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!!

Ricktate: I was told from a very reliable source at Klipsch, that the oil finish on '78 K-Horns (maybe other years as well) was Tru-Oil. A very common oil that is used on gun stocks. I did buy a gallon of Birchwood-Casey Tru Oil and experimented with it on one K-Horn Top Section. It applied nicely and it didn't turn out too bad. Just a little darker Red than what I wanted.

Thanks again!!

JJ

Meagain:

The K-Horns are KB-Walnut Oiled.

After comparing the the two oils (Watco Danish Oil Natural & Tru Oil) the Tru Oil has a darker reddish color and also a little thicker. (a lot like a syrup). I didn't mix anything into the Tru Oil.

The Tru Oil doesn't give the ingredients but it does mention Linseed and other Natural Oils. Your guess is as good as mine what 'Other Natural Oils' might be.

I will borrow a camera and will post a couple of pictures, soon.

Please understand that the rest of the speaker surfaces has been stripped of the 'Crud" that the prior owner used to oil the speakers, so they appear dull and dry. I only did one of the top sections w/the Tru Oil.

JJ

Well the BLO information came from HDBR...Andy.. who worked for Klipsch and im sure he knows alittle more than most about how they were made.Rick...edit.. sorry i didnt mean this to sound like arguing maybe they used both oils my vote is for BLO since i have used it.