Another roadtrip

steamer

lol - maybe I shouldn't tell the stories about taking out doors with the robot and burning myself on the electrical sparks...[A]

Anyways, I forget when it was but Colter and I were talking about the

next time we'd get together...I had a book to return, he had a bag of

goodies that I left behind and we always have tons of projects to work

on. He also mentions that he's got some speakers that need to be taken

up to Chicago...and that is always an extra bonus cuz I get to hang out

with Colter for the weekend, then store a pair of speakers in my

apartment "just to keep them out of the weather" [;)] Then I get to go

home the next weekend and enjoy normal healthy food and get my laundry

done. The only downside was I didn't know if the lascala bass bins

would fit in my subaru wagon. You'd think measuring it would be an easy

task, but I practically live in my vehicle so there is always tons of

stuff in there. Just before I got around to cleaning her out - in fact

as I was out the door - Colter gives me a call and says that plans are

changed and he will be meeting the dude in Bloomington. I was a bit

confused because Bloomington is nowhere near Chicago, but whatever,

lol. But since he'd be driving through Champaign and like 5 minutes

from my apartment it only made sense to hang out here. Even better is I

don't really have any classes on Tuesday so I decided to go along for a

short road trip and meet a forum member - it wasn't until colter picked

me up that I found out who was buying the speakers, and even then I had

no clue who Greg was!

It was certainly a riot pulling into the parking lot - them two guys

are crazy. It was wierd too because I didn't know Greg at all, but felt

like I did...there's some kind of cool connection between klipsch fans

that's hard to describe. Heck, I bet that was the first time Colter and

Greg met too. What's even cooler, which I found out after the fact, is

that Greg had paid for the speakers way ahead of time. Have you had a

chance to plug them in yet Greg? He was surprised about how light the

cabs were and was joking about us delivering speakers without drivers.

If only it we showed up in a white van.... [;)]

After we figured out how to get the speakers in his Tahoe, Greg treats

us to lunch! Man that was a pleasant surprise - especially for a

college kid [:D] (nope I'm not a professor, sorry to dissapoint, lol).

I'm not sure how lunch lasted 2 hours - it certainly didn't feel that

long. Greg told us all about his speaker journey - starting out with

klipsch, taking the audiopainphile path, and returning to klipsch

again. He's got a really killer setup happening and the dude really

knows what he's doing. He's definetly a music head (listens to music,

not the gear) - what was that again? 2000 CDs? I forget, but he kept

referencing a ton of music the whole time and it's cool to meet a guy

with the priorities in the right place. (you guys probably didn't even

realize all the music references either - I did, but that's cuz I had

to think about everything)

Alas, like all trips they must come to an end and we had to go our

seperate ways. Greg really liked the idea of more local klipsch fan

meetings (like the pilgrimage mixer without the travelling). We'll have

to get something happening here in the midwest and find a place big

enough to do it in (I think I could pull some strings and get a room

here on campus, but Champaign is kinda in the middle of nowhere...)

Eventually we make it back to my apartment and Colter comes up to see

the bachelor pad. Exhausted from the day he plops down on the couch

while I try to find some music to play for him...I just got a new CD

from Cirque du Soleil that I just had to play a few songs from - no

worries, I'll definetly be bringing this CD to the pilgrimage *evil

grin* [;)] Btw, just one correction on my setup...I have the SC-1.

Colter got a kick out of me having it mounted on top of my monitor (ya,

they're shielded that well).

In my "goodie bag" Colter gave me a picture he took of me working on

some of his speakers (man that was such a long time ago). I am very

much not a photogenic person and in fact this is my first decent

picture - so it was a really cool gift. He's got a digital scan of it

somewhere on his computer so I already know what my next avatar is

going to be [;)]

So ya, all in all it was a great trip...I really look forward to seeing

Greg again at the pilgrimage this summer - that's if we dont' get some

midwest gatherings happening before that.

Y'know Who, I guess we old guys forget how much we know about OUR music. It just seems so natural to rattle off stories of concerts we've attended, scores of details about our favorite recordings and the artists themselves. Probably had yer head spinnin during lunch.

You'll gather this knowledge in time. Remember, guys like Greg and I have been listening to our faves for like three decades, some trivia is bound to soak into our brains. You'll know all about Nightwish and be able to spew facts like we do in short order. Meanwhile, try to pick up what you can about the classic rockers that we know about. It's all part of your musical education.

And no, Greg and I had never met, maybe just one or two telephone conversations. Funny how it feels like I've known all these Forum Brothers most of my life. It's that common bond that, like you say Who, exists on NO OTHER FORUM out there. Period. We've got something special here guys.

And yes, Greg and I are both pretty crazy dudes. You can tell we've been to far away places with strange-sounding names! LOL

Thanks for the report. So who has the next road trip?

And remember to scavenge some old classic rock posters for Dr. Who's college pad. The guy's got barren walls. Needs some decorating.

Michael

Congrats on your trip and score. Colter is a good guy, too.

BTW, I notice you are from Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Used to go through there on the way to see my wife's family in Aurora. It's a place, so small, most folks in Iowa don't know it exists.

Daddy Dee,

I have to admitt that I have never heard of Aurora,looked on a map and couldnt find it!

Pretty happy about the score,just what I needed.

Greg

lol - maybe I shouldn't tell the stories about taking out doors with the robot and burning myself on the electrical sparks...[A]

Anyways, I forget when it was but Colter and I were talking about the next time we'd get together...I had a book to return, he had a bag of goodies that I left behind and we always have tons of projects to work on. He also mentions that he's got some speakers that need to be taken up to Chicago...and that is always an extra bonus cuz I get to hang out with Colter for the weekend, then store a pair of speakers in my apartment "just to keep them out of the weather" [;)] Then I get to go home the next weekend and enjoy normal healthy food and get my laundry done. The only downside was I didn't know if the lascala bass bins would fit in my subaru wagon. You'd think measuring it would be an easy task, but I practically live in my vehicle so there is always tons of stuff in there. Just before I got around to cleaning her out - in fact as I was out the door - Colter gives me a call and says that plans are changed and he will be meeting the dude in Bloomington. I was a bit confused because Bloomington is nowhere near Chicago, but whatever, lol. But since he'd be driving through Champaign and like 5 minutes from my apartment it only made sense to hang out here. Even better is I don't really have any classes on Tuesday so I decided to go along for a short road trip and meet a forum member - it wasn't until colter picked me up that I found out who was buying the speakers, and even then I had no clue who Greg was!

It was certainly a riot pulling into the parking lot - them two guys are crazy. It was wierd too because I didn't know Greg at all, but felt like I did...there's some kind of cool connection between klipsch fans that's hard to describe. Heck, I bet that was the first time Colter and Greg met too. What's even cooler, which I found out after the fact, is that Greg had paid for the speakers way ahead of time. Have you had a chance to plug them in yet Greg? He was surprised about how light the cabs were and was joking about us delivering speakers without drivers. If only it we showed up in a white van.... [;)]

After we figured out how to get the speakers in his Tahoe, Greg treats us to lunch! Man that was a pleasant surprise - especially for a college kid [:D] (nope I'm not a professor, sorry to dissapoint, lol). I'm not sure how lunch lasted 2 hours - it certainly didn't feel that long. Greg told us all about his speaker journey - starting out with klipsch, taking the audiopainphile path, and returning to klipsch again. He's got a really killer setup happening and the dude really knows what he's doing. He's definetly a music head (listens to music, not the gear) - what was that again? 2000 CDs? I forget, but he kept referencing a ton of music the whole time and it's cool to meet a guy with the priorities in the right place. (you guys probably didn't even realize all the music references either - I did, but that's cuz I had to think about everything)

Alas, like all trips they must come to an end and we had to go our seperate ways. Greg really liked the idea of more local klipsch fan meetings (like the pilgrimage mixer without the travelling). We'll have to get something happening here in the midwest and find a place big enough to do it in (I think I could pull some strings and get a room here on campus, but Champaign is kinda in the middle of nowhere...)

Eventually we make it back to my apartment and Colter comes up to see the bachelor pad. Exhausted from the day he plops down on the couch while I try to find some music to play for him...I just got a new CD from Cirque du Soleil that I just had to play a few songs from - no worries, I'll definetly be bringing this CD to the pilgrimage *evil grin* [;)] Btw, just one correction on my setup...I have the SC-1. Colter got a kick out of me having it mounted on top of my monitor (ya, they're shielded that well).

In my "goodie bag" Colter gave me a picture he took of me working on some of his speakers (man that was such a long time ago). I am very much not a photogenic person and in fact this is my first decent picture - so it was a really cool gift. He's got a digital scan of it somewhere on his computer so I already know what my next avatar is going to be [;)]

So ya, all in all it was a great trip...I really look forward to seeing Greg again at the pilgrimage this summer - that's if we dont' get some midwest gatherings happening before that.

Mike,

A pleasure meeting you,looking forward to Hope!

Those bins were light,must have been used to the 126 lbs of mine that I have moved to many times.Or maybe the Rock Star got the best of me LOL.

No worrys about pluggin them in...after talking with Michael on the phone I knew there wouldnt be a problem,long way from ebay.

I agree about that connection we all share here,just one big family or a bunch of hardcore fanatics...hey got to have something to believe in!

As far as me knowing what I am doing,hell most days I know just enough to get by.I know I learn alot here and can get help if I need it.Great forum!

I am very interested in a get together and this idea needs to be explored,I hear references to this DC gathering and it can happen here in the midwest as well.

See ya in Hope,

Greg

You'll gather this knowledge in time.

Remember, guys like Greg and I have been listening to our faves for

like three decades, some trivia is bound to soak into our brains.

You'll know all about Nightwish and be able to spew facts like we do in

short order. Meanwhile, try to pick up what you can about the classic

rockers that we know about. It's all part of your musical

education.

Ah yes, the most frustrating thing about being young...not having the

experience. But that's ok, sometimes ignorance is bliss. I have been

really enjoying this music you gave me...very much not my usual cup of

tea, but I have a feeling it's going to be. I'm listening to Blue Light

by Fantasy Band from the Jazziz - January 1995 album at the moment. Man

I love crunchy bass, makes me wanna eat some cereal actually. Joe Walsh

is some great stuff too.

I need to find out where all y'alls get your music stuff - like posters

and CDs and all that. I can never find anything good in any of the

normal spots...then again, I have no idea what to look for.

You'll gather this knowledge in time. Remember, guys like Greg and I have been listening to our faves for like three decades, some trivia is bound to soak into our brains. You'll know all about Nightwish and be able to spew facts like we do in short order. Meanwhile, try to pick up what you can about the classic rockers that we know about. It's all part of your musical education.

Ah yes, the most frustrating thing about being young...not having the experience. But that's ok, sometimes ignorance is bliss. I have been really enjoying this music you gave me...very much not my usual cup of tea, but I have a feeling it's going to be. I'm listening to Blue Light by Fantasy Band from the Jazziz - January 1995 album at the moment. Man I love crunchy bass, makes me wanna eat some cereal actually. Joe Walsh is some great stuff too.

I need to find out where all y'alls get your music stuff - like posters and CDs and all that. I can never find anything good in any of the normal spots...then again, I have no idea what to look for.

Mike,

You live in a college town,gotta be some used CD music stores!

They have all kinds of paraphernalia.

Greg

You guys should know, last time DrWho was over to my place I had some client meeting or errand to run. I let him loose with my collection of 1000+ classic rock Cd's and all that was loaded on my iMac jukebox. He burned about 6 MP3 (c'mon Who!) CD's so must've copped 100's of songs from here.

I just delivered them to him, so he's probably having a heydey right now listening to a weird variety of stuff that've never crossed his eardrums.

Have fun Dr!

M