Question for thoes who run a subwoofer with your analog 2 channel systems

RTTR

For thoes that run a subwoofer with your 2 channel systems and run a basic analog amp like you guys with tubes and old HK stereo receivers. What do you do in terms of subwoofer settings?

I'm going to have a NAD C162 stereo preamplifier hooked upto the NAD C272 2-channel power amp, into the pre-amp I will connect the Sub-12 and the C272 will be powering a pair of F-3's, Obviously there is no digital bass managment with this setup. Do I just setup the sub phase control to sync up properly with the F-3s and set the sub to 60-80hz cutoff point?

What I'm getting at, is I don't want the bass to be muddy.

Help a newbie out.

Why not connect the sub woofer to your main speaker outputs from the amp, and your speakers to the sub? That way you can control the bass x-over completely in the sub.

Doesn't that just add another thing in the signals path to create distortion?

See my signature for what gear I have. I think I fit your demographic pretty well. [:)]

On my sub it has both a high and a low pass filter. The high pass filter is an either/or 50hz or 100hz. The low pass filter is adjustable from 50hz to 100hz. Generally I have the high pass filter at 100hz and the low pass filter anywhere from 60-75hz. I know on paper this may be a big gap but my sub doesn't seem to have to have too steep of a crossover and blends very very well with the RF-7s.

BTW, I'm using the sub and receiver's pre-ins and -outs via RCA cables.

My sub has multiple options for connection and, having tested all possibilities find the best is via the speaker out from the amp. This is the same for other subs I know including the REL subs which actually provide a specific cable for the job.

To do this successfully your sub must have its own volume control and cross-over settings - ideally variable between at least 50 to 100 Hz with the idea being you set the sub to come in where your mains roll off. The volume control on the sub allows volume matching with the mains. Once set it should not need to be adjusted as you vary the main volume control on the amp or pre-amp.

With the right sub/speaker mix and the right settings the effect can be a seamless 20Hz -20 KHz (or wherever your mains stop), which is, I think, what you are looking for.

See my signature for what gear I have. I think I fit your demographic pretty well. [:)]

On my sub it has both a high and a low pass filter. The high pass filter is an either/or 50hz or 100hz. The low pass filter is adjustable from 50hz to 100hz. Generally I have the high pass filter at 100hz and the low pass filter anywhere from 60-75hz. I know on paper this may be a big gap but my sub doesn't seem to have to have too steep of a crossover and blends very very well with the RF-7s.

BTW, I'm using the sub and receiver's pre-ins and -outs via RCA cables.

Mark - Just curious. Does your sub's crossover work on the RCA (low level) connections? On the few subs I've messed with the cross-over only operates on the speaker (high level) connections...