Subwoofer input question

ss7380

Hey all,

This probably seems like a really stupid question to many of you audiophiles, but I am kind of new to all this. Which is the correct input on the subwoofer(KSW-12) to connect the subwoofer output from the receiver? There are two inputs, one is an LFE and I'm not sure about the other. In addition, I seem to have another problem. I have the complete reference series system (RF3,RC3,etc.) and I am using a Yamaha HTR-5460 receiver. Anyway, with the subwoofer set on auto, many times the subwoofer does not power up when it should be receiving a signal. Obviously, this is a receiver problem. Any ideas? When the subwoofer does come on, the bass is weak, especially for home theater applications. Is this a limitation of the receiver? The receiver I was using is an 8 year old ONKYO and it seems far superior to the YAMAHA in home theater and especially music, but it lacks some of the features of the newer receivers. Is the Yamaha really this weak or is there something wrong with the setup? If it's the Yamaha, is there another receiver you could recommend in the $500 range? Thanks in advance for any help.

I'm not sure about the sub cabling problem as I have a passive sub w/separate amp. Your problem with the sub being weak during movie playback may be because the speaker settings are set to "Large" instead of "Small". I'm not familiar with your receiver but my Denon has a "Speaker Settings" option from the setup menu. It is here where you set your speakers to "Large" or "Small" and tell it whether you have a subwoofer or not. If that's not it, call 1-800-KLIPSCH and talk to Matt or Trey, and hopefully they can help you...

Mike

------------------

Family Room

-----------

Hitachi 43UWX10B HDTV (16:9)

Denon AVR-4800

Acurus A200X3

Panasonic DVD-RP91K (Progressive Scan & DVD-Audio)

Dual CS-5000 Turntable w/Shure V15V-MR

DBX 3bx Series III Range Expander

Mains - Chorus II (Oiled Oak/Acurus Amp)

Center - KLF-C7 (Finished Black/Acurus Amp)

Surrounds - Chorus I's (Finished Black/Denon)

Surround Back - RS-3's (White/Denon)

SVS 20-39CS Sub w/Samson S700 Amp

Monster HTS-3500 Line Conditioner

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 Digital Cable box

Monster M-500 Component Video cables

Monster Datalink 100 Digital Coaxial cables

Radio Shack Gold Series & AR for all other audio interconnects

Bedroom

-------

Mitsubishi 31" TV

Yamaha M-4 Amp

Yamaha C-4 Preamp

Yamaha T-7 Tuner

Teac DVD Player

Dual CS-721 Turntable w/B&O MMC2

Looking for a pair of Cherry or Mahogany Heresy's

As Mike said, if you have all speakers set to large, and subwoofer "yes" in your Yamaha setup, then it is only getting the LFE channel (the .1 in 5.1). Not much content actually gets placed there, so the sub is going to sleep and not waking up fast enough when it finally gets tapped on the shoulder. Setting the power to "on" and manually turning it off when not in use will cure that. But you also may choose to tell the Yamaha to route bass to the front AND sub if you can, which will keep the sub active, or change the rear/center channels to small which will send more content to the sub.

Also, double check the connection into the sub. I think you may want to get a y-splitter and plug in both the LFE and right channel input -- but check the owner's manual to see if that's ok. I can't recall.

DD2

yea like doug says use a Y adapter to plug in both L/LFE & R inputs. besides giving u about +6db output from the ksw, should also make it wake up quicker.

try setting sub yes & all speakers to small. may sound better as ksw should carry the load & free up the other speakers from that current soaking low bass. make sure the ksw is placed where it sounds loudest and best.

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front)

Klipsch KLF C7 (center)

Klipsch Cornwall I (rear)

Klipsch KLF C7 (rear center)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

B&K Reference 30 tuner/preamp/processor

Acurus A200X5 power amp

Marantz MA6100 mono amp (rear center)

Sony DVP-C650D 5-disk cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 digital cable box

Monster HTS2500 & HT200 powercenters

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3, RC-3

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

Technics dual cassette deck

Monster HTS1000 powercenter

Bedroom:

Sony STR-DE935 receiver

Technics cube speakers

rock on!