Bi Amping on a RF-15

kisschicken

I was wondering if I should be bi-amping my RF-15s. I have a Denon

3802, which supports 7 channels. I'm only using 5 of them, so would it

behoove me to run the additional 2 channels into my RF-15s? System is

used for 75% HT, 25% Music. On a side note, does anyone know where I

can get a hiss-free Jimi Hendrix album?

with the denon 3805 I remember there was a psuedo way to trick the amp to think it was bi amping

http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/Denon-AVR3805_review04.php

but I think you can do that by stereo X7 and just adding the mains and

rear rears to the other.... Remember to remove the jumper (the metal

piece that connects the two binding posts!

Bi-wiring is a wast of money IMO. As long as you use the proper size wire to start with.

Yes,a waste

Tried it and there was no difference,I now bi-amp with an active x-over and yes there is a big difference.

That said,IMO your biggest benifit would be more power and if you have 2 extra channels then try it for yourself and see what you think.

Greg

When you bi amped the system did you eq the signal out, Like say dropped all the low frequency signal for the tweeter and vice versa?

Not sure if I understand your question,

My goal was to achieve a tonal balance to my tastes as well as the benefits of bi-amping utilizing an active x-over.

To effectively bi-amp a system you need level controls on all the amps or at the x-over to adjust for the various gain structures of the amps.I do not use an EQ.

That said I can adjust levels on my Rane active x-over depending on the recording or my mood.The input levels for my amps are set and I don't adjust them.The adjustments I do make with the Rane are only minor and not very often.

The amps in my system are SS amps for the bass and SET tube amps for the highs.One SS amp is 250 per side the other 130 per side and the tube amps are 4 WATTS per.

Sounds way out of balance but the level controls make it possible.I think my max volume is @105db before everything starts to fall apart(operating outside the envelope of the SET amp).

Check out my profile for the signal path.

Greg

Thanks! I meant to put in clearer terms, since the cross internally is

still present but now since the jumpers have been removed would it be

advisable to say use the eq to lower the bass region on the hf and eq

lower the high frequency to the lf part of the speaker is what I tried

to convey

Thanks! I meant to put in clearer terms, since the cross internally is still present but now since the jumpers have been removed would it be advisable to say use the eq to lower the bass region on the hf and eq lower the high frequency to the lf part of the speaker is what I tried to convey

I prefer to adjust the bass first and try to achieve a 1 to1 pass for the mids and highs.The midrange IMHO is the most important part of the presentation.I like the signal in that area to not have to go thru anything that would change it.The more controls the signal goes thru the more it is changed.Bass is less critical in that aspect,not saying its not important.

Play around with your system and find what works best for YOU!!!

Greg

Thank you will do. But the thing that everyone lately says is do what sounds best to you..... Obviously this applies to people who buy bose and think it is the best....... So I want to have at least a point of reference! But thanks again

Jay,

It is to hard to tell you what is best for you.I tried to give you my ideas on bi amping in general and how it applied to my system,Your system will be different and that is why I said you need to see what works for you.

My mindset is that I don't want to change the signal and prefer the simpilist signal route,and if I am going to alter the signal then bass is first.

Check those links out that I posted,very good read.

Hope I have helped.

Greg