Advice on setting up a new Klipsch system

mildodiferousfunk

Hello,

I recently purchased a new Klipsch speaker system all-around to replace my old system and was looking to receive any advice/tips for set-up of my new system. I have a 20'x10' room with my entertainment system being at the "long" end of the room. My set up will consist of the following:

Samsung HL-R5067W Television

Onkyo TX-SR702 Receiver

Klipsch RF-35 Fronts

Klipsch RC-35 Center

Klipsch RF-35 Rears

Klipsch RS-35 Rear Surrounds

Mirage S12 Subwoofer

I would appreciate any tips/advice on set-up/placement/etc. for this type of system. The floors consist of hardwood and I intend on placing the rear surrounds on stands that are roughly 3.5' high, directly behind the listening position. I would also appreciate any feedback/experience that anyone has with these speakers/receiver combination. I have searched the forums and was unable to find much in the way of Klipsch/Onkyo combinations, although I have heard Denon and some Yamaha receivers sound good combined with the Klipsch systems.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Welcome to the forum!

Sounds like a nice system you have there.

I would, using your seating position as the center, draw a circle around it with a radius equivalent to the distance between your head and the center channel. I'd then place the remaining speakers on the arc of the circle.

If your furniture and room setup don't permit this, then you'll just have to make a few adjustments on the receiver to compensate for the different distances.

With the hardwood floors, you may get some early reflections from both the HF and LF sections of the mains. You may want to put a few throw-rugs (or area rugs) in front of them to soften those reflections. You may have some ceiling and wall issues but the size of the room may also be a factor. You'll just have to experiment.

I think the Onkyo was pretty well regarded around here. I know Denon is. If it doesn't sound bright, it should be a good combo.

Chris

Thank you for the excellent advice.

I neglected to say I already have a few rugs and such to soften reflections. I will not be able to place the rears and rear surrounds in a radius. The center channel is about 16 feet from listening position while the rears are roughly 5 feet from LP and the rear surrounds are roughly 3 feet from LP. My receiver should be able to compensate (I hope). The receiver does have an auto-setup mic that works reasonably well.

One question I do have is, with the rear surrounds (the RS-35's), would it be better to mount them angled (in the rear room corners angled 45 degrees inward towards the listener) of directly behind (possibly mounted on the wall)?

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Put the rear surrounds directly behind you. I would also make a small investment in an SPL meter and disc like Avia to set up your system. Many times the disc and meter will yield better results than your receivers auto calibration.

westcott, thank you for the information. I had actually run across that website several months ago and found it to be very informative. Thanks for pointing me to it again. I will certainly purchase an SPL meter/calibration disk, as I have had this on my "to-do" list for quite some time now.

I will certainly post some pictures when completed. I started putting it together last night and should be finishing up within the next week or so.

Also, for mounting RS-35's behind listening position, I was considering using a wall anchor and bolts along with the keyhole inserts in the back of the speaker. Anyone have any feedback (positive or negative) about using this mounting technique or any better idea? I had been planning on mounting these to stands (that require drilling into the speaker base), but would rather no drill into the speakers.

One more question: is anyone using RF-35's as rears (or a similar tower speaker)? How does this compare to let's say using RS-35's as rears in conjunction with another pair of RS-35's as rear surrounds? I know the obvious answer for music: the RF-35 rear setup will be much better, but how about movies: RF or RS?

I found the RS solution better for my application than any direct radiating speaker. They provided a better ambient sound which is what you are looking for in a surround speaker. Klipsch speakers can tend to be semi directional anyway and using a forward facing horn seemed to exaserbate the situation in my room. The RS series were definately better for movies and so so for music.

Mild,

NO DRILLING INTO SPEAKERS!! It is probably possible to do, but why do anything to compromise the integrity of your cabinet? If you stick with the speaker stands, try Blu-Tac (or the cheaper equivalent, Plasti-Tac). It is a strong puddy-type of adhesive that will hold your speakers to stands. I use it with sand-filled stands with my RB-75's and I can literally overturn the speaker and the stand stays attached. The other great thing is the puddy can be removed easily without damaging the speaker cabinet. Just an idea.

Welcome to the forum! I am not sure if I am understanding you

correctly but I would recommend that you put the second set of RF-35's

directly behind you for the rear surrounds. The RS-35's should be

to your sides when listening to movies. I hope this makes sense

and that I understood you setup right!! Enjoy!! Chad

Radchad,

I was intending on using the RS-35 as rear surrounds (mounted behind listener) and the RF-35's as rears, facing inwards on the side of the listener. I did not think of placing the RF-35's in the rear as they will be mounted behind a couch and may be somewhat baffled by the couch. Why would you use the RS-35's as surrounds and the RF-35's as rear surround (mounted behind)? What are the advantages of doing so?

Thanks.

This is THX's design for using direct radiating speakers in a 7.1

channel setup. Also with the dipole surraounds such as the

RS-35's you will get a more enveloping sound if they are opposite each

other as compared to right next to each other. Now, if you had 4

RS-35's then you would not have this issue. I think the RF-35's

are very nice speakers and you will like them in this setup, just used

as rear surrounds would be better I think. Does anyone else want

to chime in? Thanks! Chad

You're welcome. Just some more food for thought. The rear surrounds typically have VERY little information sent to them. In your set up, the RF-35's would be major overkill for what they will be asked to do. If you are able, you may look at putting the RS-35's to the sides, getting a pair of RB-35's for the rear and using the RF-35's in a 2 chanel setup, possibly in the bedroom or gameroom etc.

Ceca,

Actually, the reason I decided to go with RF-35's in the rear as opposed to RC-35's or bookshelf speakers is for music. I typically run "All Channel Stereo" (I believe this is what it is called on my receiver) for music, where the receiver sends equal amounts of power to all of the speakers and so I wanted to get an "equal" soundstage from the rears compared to the fronts. Not sure if this is the best thing to do, but it sounded good at time of purchase.[:o]

M

You're welcome! Actually if you want to use the set-up in all

channel stereo mode then the RF-35's will defeinitely get more

use. I have the RF-7's, RC-7, RS-7's, and RB-75's for the rears

and I did so knowing that I would be doing the same thing! I

think you made a good move. Now if you were ONLY doing movies,

they would be alittle overkill. Of course, speakers can be

similar to horsepower.....too much is never enough!!! Chad

I finally finished up putting my system together last night and all I can say is "WOW"! I watched the "race" scene from Star Wars I and it was amazing. I ended up putting the RS-35's behind me at an angle and the RF-35's as surrounds (facing inwards) and I like this the best (i didn't really have a choice...long story). The speakers made a significant improvement and the subwoofer is also a dramatic upgrade. I still have some speaker setting tweaking to do. The system looks great cosmetically and sounds incredible. I will post some pics when available.

Thanks for the advice gentlemen.