Re-veneered Cornwalls

boomac

Nice Corns!!

I just bought some Bird's Eye Maple to reveneer my Cornwalls. I've read through Greg's homepage about Gary's Zebrawood Heresies, but one question. What would be the best way to miter the edges of the front faces?

I've got to update my webpages some day. I want to warn anyone using those pages as a guide that I have had a lot of trouble with bubbling veneer with the iron-on method. Because my shop has been down for a while, I have not been doing any woodworking and I have not figured out a better method for applying veneer. Right now, the NBL backed veneer in 4 x 8 sheets, applied with contact cement has been my most successful project (the Rosewood Khorns) - That is if you are measuring success by how few problems you have. I know Gary's zebrawood Heresy's turned out nice, but even those have one place that bubbled after he had them for a while. I've got a pair of unfinished Rosewood La Scalas sitting in storage right now that have about 100 bubbles in the veneer. I don't know what the hell I'm going to do with those. "Looks good from 6 feet away", yeah right.

Miters are done with a speed square held over the strip of veneer and cut with a sharp knife. The strips are cut a little wider than needed which makes it so you don't have to be so precise with measuring the lengths. You can slide the veneer strip up or down to fit the miters tight together and glue them in place. Then you trim both sides of the strip, mostly with a veneer trimmer, cleaning up anything else with a knife and then finishing off with hand sandpaper. As with any of this veneer work, it's always best to try it out on something else first, before doing your speakers.

Greg

Thanks for the compliments guys. The boxes were done at R E Neumann Co. in Oconomowoc, Wisconsin. I would call their pricing reasonable and Im convinced you get what you pay for. It probably helped having a mutual friend and getting to know the owner personally. The veneer, application and finishing totaled just over 1K. The veneer was a big part of it. Heres one more shot.

Looks like you got your money's worth. Been through Oconomowoc a couple of times.