DVD Recorder

Smokem

I don't have any experience with those particular units, however, here is a list of reviews I found on the 'net for those units, plus the unit that I do have (for comparison sake).

(Edit) Reviews of the units mentioned, plus the unit I have as found on the 'net:

However, I do have a Pioneer DVR-633H, which I absolutely love! The only gripe is that it does not do DVD+R/RW or DVD-RAM. No big deal for myself, but if somebody give me a DVD in the "+R" format, I'd have to use my computer to rip it and re-burn it to a "-R" format. Also, I wish the thing came in black, as all my other components are black as well.

The beauty of this particular unit is that it has a 160 gig harddrive, to which I can directly record programming. In addition to the harddrive, this thing has an incredibly extensive set of editing tools/features. It is so sweet that I can edit the material right on the harddrive, such as deleting the commercials, and then burn it to the DVD. The thing is friggan fast! I've burned an hour program (actually about 45 minutes once I nuked the commercials) in the highest "XP" quality, and it took it about 5 minutes to copy from the harddrive to the DVD (including the finalization process).

As a DVD player, it seems to do an excellent job, although I've not really had time to sit down and watch any movies lately (as I've just only recently gotten the unit).

Yes, doing the computer option is nice, but I found using the stand-alone DVD recorder is more convienent for grabbing things off the satellite and off the air. I have a ton of stuff saved up on my satellite reciever's harddrive that I wanted to get off and onto DVD. It is just so much more convienent to use the DVD recorder for this purpose.

The downside is that these harddrive based recorders are still pretty expensive, on the order of a good $500 or more. I managed to score an "open-box" one for a good $100 less than what it would've been brand-new. From what I was told, the thing has not even been used, so it was "brand-new" as it was, just that the box had been opened. Also, it won't let you copy "commerical" movies. For that, you do have to use a computer w/ DVD burner drive and software to {ahem} get "around" the copy-protection.