RF-83 or Cornwall III?

Heideana

I'm contemplating upgrading from the KG-3's I'm currently using in my music room to something with more bottom-end in the next few months. I thought that I wanted a pair of CW-III's, but now I see the RF-83 and wonder if it'd make a better general purpose music room/home studio speaker then the CW III?

I'm looking for a speaker to primarily use for hifi listening, along with some low decibel synthersizer/PA use for home playing/recording. I think I already know that the LaScala was initially a PA speaker and also sold as an organ cab at some point, but I don't want use a sub-woofer and I've already discounted it...

Thanks for any advice or thoughts from the Forum...

I second the choice for Cornwalls, especially if you also plan on using them for your synthesizer and/or home recording studio.

Back in the early '80s my dad used his stock '79 C-BR Decorator Cornwalls not only for his 2-channel audio system, but also as organ cabinets for his Rodgers Jamestown electronic organ in our large family room, and they never once bottomed out or distorted no matter how loud the organ was played! Years later, he even used his Cornwalls as monitors for an Alesis Microverb digital reverb system for his residence pipe organ...authentic sounding reverb filled the music room and made his small pipe organ sound like a large cathedral instrument (very convincing indeed, thanks to the Cornwalls).

I have no experience with the Reference Series RF-83; for all I know they may also make great home studio monitors. But I do know what the Heritage Series horn speakers are capable of from my personal experiences, and for what it's worth I highly recommend 'em![;)]

the 83 have better lower end but the cornwalls are true three way with a horn midrange as all the heritage guys stick their nose to the rf for the lack of one [:P]

But price comes into factor:

msrp rf-83 2000

msrp cornwall III 3500

i been quoted rf-83 1540

i been quoted cornwall III 3000

all is relative to price. I think after losing repetatively on ebay (but I want to thank doug aka tuned4life for all the help) that I will go with the rf-83...........

Also is size a determinining factor?

Thanks! It seems CW III's are the preferred speaker and Jim confirmed they handle keyboards ok.

The specs of the RF-83 are what have caught my eye, particularily the bottom end since they go a bit lower then the CW III's...question is if its' useful or not. Also what the RF-83's really amp ohm requirements are. The RF-7's I've got like 4 ohms much better then 8, while it looks like the CW probably don't dip below 6 ohms from a CW review I read.

..."all the heritage guys stick their nose to the rf for the lack of one."

I'm tired of these stupid accusations!

Reread my post...I didn't diss the RF-83 or the Reference Series (I never have...they're Klipsch for cryin' out loud...why would I?). Granted, I have no experience with them, but it doesn't mean I wouldn't want to own a pair. Frankly, I'm very intrigued by the RF-75 monitors and if I was in the market for a pair of Klipsch bookshelf loudspeakers, they'd be the ones I'd buy! So don't be lumping all Heritage users as snobs that wouldn't have anything to do with the Reference horn speakers...I'm not one of 'em![:@]

If it were me, before spending that kind of $, I would take some of my favorite music to a vendor in a medium that they supported and listen to both speakers to get an impression on how each sounds and then make up my own mind. But hey thats me. Otherwise you could pay attention to this thread and buy what ever the over all consensus is. Its what ever makes you happy. If you ask me actually listen to then both and more speakers (even non-klispch) and buy what you like. Don't paint yourself in a corner. Good luck hope you buy something that makes you happy.

If you happen to just be trolling then I would reccomend that you buy a bose radio/cd player for 600.00.

post-16829-13819284016204_thumb.jpg

It's really best to try and listen to both and then decide for yourself. It's never a good idea to try and do it threw what others like because you are different and what you like may just well be different than what each of us like.

I for one had to learn the hard way. I bought the Klipsch RF-7's and then started to listen to users here and other forums how the Heritage line beats the pants off the RF-7's, blows it out of the water that I haven't heard nothin yet until I hear Heritage. Well, I got all worked up about it and in the process I started getting and trying Klipsch speakers, the KLF-30 first, then the Forte II, then the LaScala, then a pair of Klipschorn's and Cornwall II. All of them are nice speakers, all have the Klipsch signature sound but just a little different in just how they make sound. I still prefer the RF-7's over all of them and this took me on a journey that I really didn't need to take or waste the time with but I let others influence me that had no clue just what the RF-7's can be because some Heritage goers have it set in their minds that the Reference line is not as good because it's what they want to believe or it's just the sound they prefer but it really misleads people like myself.

So it's really important for you to listen for yourself and decide which you like better, all Klipsch are nice but you have to find which you prefer more of your own liking and not some one elses! Heritage is not better than Reference, they are just a little different but still very much the Klipsch sound that we all love to hear that either will do.

• Like 1

Nor am I bashing the new Klipsch lines either. The only Klipsch

speakers I have ever heard are the Cornwalls, KG 4.2, KG 5.2, and the

KG 5.5. I have never heard anything else from Klipsch... well except

for my brother's Klipsch 2.1 computer speakers.

Other than the computer speakers, all of the other mentioned Klipsch

speakers have/had that Klipsch sound. Out of all of them, the KG 5.5s

had the best bass, the 4.2s imaged the best in smaller rooms, the 5.2s

are simply impressive for the amount of sound they can put out from a

single 10" driver and passive 12".

However, since I run a subwoofer all the time, my mian channel

speakers, no matter what they are, are always crossed over at 80Hz, so

bass extension is not an issue for me. What the Cornwalls do for me

that NONE of the other Klipsch's could ever do is the midrange. Not

just the "horn sound" of the midrange, but how clear, immediate,

realistically fast, effortless and LIVE the midrange sounds. Play a

song with a rim shot on a snare drum on a pair of Cornwalls, and you

not only hear the rim shot, but you FEEL it as well.

Think about it, you have a 2" diaphram reproducing all of the

frequencies from about 600Hz on up to the tweeter's crossover point,

which is exactly where human hearing is the most sensitive. And on top

of that, it is horn loaded, so that diaphram doesn't have to do much to

DO so much.

With the KG series, I never got this kind of midrange, which is

understandable with much larger, heavier and slower drivers ranging

from 8" to 10". Which asking a larger driver to extend up to several

Khz is asking a lot. There are just too many variables working against

it to get the crucial midrange where it needs to be to sound right.

Maybe they somehow fixed this with the newer stuff, but that's why I prefer the Cornwalls over the rest.

Oh, and just one other thing... I prefer the way the Heritage line

looks over any of the other lines. However, if I was in the market for

new speakers and something in the newer RF line sounded better than

anything in the Heritage line, I would definately buy the RF. For me,

as should be for anyone, sound quality is the most important to me.

Oh, and just one other thing... I prefer the way the Heritage line

looks over any of the other lines. However, if I was in the market for

new speakers and something in the newer RF line sounded better than

anything in the Heritage line, I would definately buy the RF. For me,

as should be for anyone, sound quality is the most important to me.

I unfortunately have to give into the space consideration but not waf yet! woot!