Interesting sub calibration I did.

patmcnevi

This past weekend I got to

play with my system a little bit. I had

all of the speakers calibrated to the AVIA DVD and wanted to see if there was

any difference with the internal receiver test tones. With the receiver at 00, the left, center,

and right channels were great. The rear

channels were a bit off. Then the sub channel

came on. The sub was a few dBs higher

so I made that level with the main speakers at 85 dB. After the calibration, the bass had more

range than before. It seemed like the

AVIA disk calibration was is using lower bass frequencies to for sub calibration.

While I was listening to some bass heavy

music on Saturday, the music was awesome and I could hear and fell all of the

frequencies played. I have not tried

movies with that setting but want to soon.

It seemed that the AVIA subwoofer tone played lower frequencies making

every bass scene I watch shake everything (which is fine with me) but I wanted

more bass range.

Hello,

This is an interesting post.I have been adjusting bass levels in my bi amped system.I added a pair of Wavelength Gemini tube mono blocks (2 watts per)to drive my 511/902 horns in a LaScala based 2way system.The gain structure for these is quite different than my previous Decware tube amps.The Geminis require more gain to drive the 511's,so I had to back off on the Bryston SS amps input sensitivity to match the outputs between the highs and lows.With to much bass everything is muddy in the mids and sounds terrible.Once levels were matched everything cleared up.I think this has a lot to do with the relationship between the bass and midrange and how well they integrate together.

Here is a link I posted last year and seems to address the sound we hear in that aspect.I find it interesting that when people get subwoofers for the first time they are enamored with the newfound dynamics but eventually turn down the level and everything sounds better.

http://www.soundstage.com/maxdb/maxdb061999.htm

Wow. I just read that great article. I didn't realize how important it is to blend your midrange drivers with your subwoofer. It hadn't occured to me. I'll be getting a SPL meter soon and I'm going to try the THX calibration that comes with the Ice Age DVD. We'll see how it goes.