KG 5.5 updates

chacodude

Have a pair of KG 5.5's purchased new. Curious about any upgrading that I might can do to these. Have been considering a retrofit to RF-7 components in these same cabinets.

Anyone out there who has experience with the KG 5.5 with any qualms or good suggestions? Interested to know what tried and true mod.s are out there for this

great speaker up to the limitations.

Andrew

This message has been edited by chacodude on 11-02-2001 at 03:13 PM

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone out there upgraded the crossover components or internal wiring on the KG 5.5? Where can I get the crossover schematic? Also thinking about rope caulking the horn. Would like to upgrade the horn driver if possible. Suggestions are most welcome.

Andrew

Don't sell those KG5.5s. They are excellent speakers! And I wouldn't even consider replacing those drivers. The K-85-K horn is a awesome horn.

I have the crossover schematic somewhere, I am a Electrical Engineer and have access to inductance meters and such. The parts didn't look all that cheap, but I can probably dig the info up after Thanksgiving. I myself am also thinking about rope caulking the horn and replacing the exisiting speaker wire. Other than that (and maybe re-enforcing the cabinets) I can't see a lot to upgrade.

• 1 month later...

My sell and purchase remark was because of chaco's idea of replacing the 5.5's components with those from RF-7's.There's more to building a good sounding speaker than a little R&R.

I have KG5.5's that I bought new and I still enjoy their sound today.No mods necessary,IMO.

Keith

• 1 year later...

----------------

On 3/12/2003 5:44:00 PM mr.pee wrote:

Hi, I have a pair of KG 5.5's and one of them is sounding dull,no highs. I think it may be the network it was fixed one time befor under warrinty. Any one have a schemitic? or another network??

----------------

Mr.pee, you need to check the thread you started in Trouble Shooting. People made some good suggestions there.

An easy way to debug the problem would be to swap the horns between to the two speakers and see if the problem follows the horn or remains in the same speaker.