For Sale: Modified stereo Baldwin organ amplifier

I just wanted to mention that if someone has an early pair of Heresies (small cosmetic issues ok) that he/she isn't using and might consider my Baldwin amp as an equal trade, I would gladly consider that instead of payment. Shipping matters could be negotiated.

I am using a pair of comparatively inefficient speakers in our rear channel, and I would really like a pair of Heresies instead.

Profit is not the primary importance with this particular amplifier -- finding someone who would really like for the price first mentioned (or as this trade) is much preferred. There is the ebay alternative, which I already know about. It's not how I wanted to go about this, though.

Erik

Hey, Bruce:

I bet the Merlin SS combination sounds good. Do you happen to know what kind of power transformer the Alesis has? You might be able to improve or reduce that power supply hum.

I wish I knew what the specs were on it, but I don't. My son has one just like it and his has no hum at all. All the laminations seem tight, but something is vibrating somewhere. They usually only run about $80-$120 dollars on ebay. I was going to pick up another one. It runs 100wpc into 4 ohms and 75 into 8 ohms. Works great on the LS. No fans on it either. The heatsinks are huge, and I have never even had it get warm. If there wasn't the hum it would be great. The green power light even matches the one on the Merlin. [:)]

Bruce

Bruce:

"I wish I knew what the specs were on it, but I don't. My son has one just like it and his has no hum at all. All the laminations seem tight, but something is vibrating somewhere."

I should have been more clear. What I was wondering about was the actual physical construction of the PT. Even if the laminations are snug and tight, there can still be mechanical coupling between the transformer and the chassis. On some, the long machine screws that hold the laminations together are also the ones used for mounting it to the chassis. Often there is a washer/nut combination, which hold the laminations tight, with a half-inch of threaded screw after that for mounting to the chassis -- followed up with another nut and washer. You might try taking it completely out of the chassis, and using a nut driver (or whatever you have) to snug everything up before reinstalling. Also, depnding on how the winding is done, one very old trick (long before my time!) was to make a small wedge of semi-hard wood and use that to fill and 'tighten' gaps between the winding and the frame. Some isolation in the form of rubber grommets (not the Radio Shack kind which are very soft vinyl) can also help.

...just a couple of things to maybe try -- good luck, it sounds like a great amp anyway!

Erik