Brokeback Mountain

oldbuckster

This is going to be very hard for me to do based on the content of this film. I am not sure that I can do a good job on this, but here it goes; This movie is about the story of two young men, who in 1963 are hired to tend a flock of sheep, and end up having a relationship that is lifelong. There are many roadblocks in front of them, yet they seem to find away to stay in each others lives.Many fascades are put up to help contain their secret, but in the end, they are exposed, and their lives are never the same. It really is a sad commentary about peoples thoughts about two men who love each other. This movie is really a bittersweet love story about two men, and the joy, the pain, and prejudices they encounter.Heath Ledger, and Jake Gyllenhaal deliver good performances, although I fear that their roles in this movie may hurt them in future, I hope I am wrong about that. At the very least, this is a thought prevoking movie, and it brings home the fact, that even today a love affair between two men is not widely accepted, or tolerated.I feel that many men will not watch, or like this movie, and that is to bad, on the other hand, I think women will view this film, and like it, and accept it for just being a film about love, and heartbreak. If you have a closed mind about same sex partners, do not rent this film, but if your mind is open, you may like this film. I don't know if I made any sense in writing this, it is a very hard subject, but in the end, if you watch it, and have thoughts about it, and talk with other people about it, maybe it is a good movie, YOU be the judge.

Hey Amy, I'd really like to see your take on this movie, if you watched it, I bet you did.

• Moderators

Thanks for your take on this--I'm looking forward to seeing it.

I've just joined Blockbuster on line, and it's in my queue to be sent [:)] I'll probably have to wait a little while though...

that is a great writeup oldbuckster

I saw it and thought it to be a good movie, It was erring on some parts.

But then again a slow paced movie that is really about love and not totally gay.

BTW I am straight but not narrow

Thanx Jay, a tough movie to watch, and trust me, most guys will not watch it, and if they do, they won't admit it. I found myself at the end feeling sorry for them, and disgusted by what they did to Jack. I'm glad your straight but not narrow; got a weight problem? Later,Bud!

I had a good laugh seeing several rows of the disk in the "Family Favorites" rack at my local midwestern Meijer's store. Boy will preacher Bob be mad when he shows this one to mamma and the kids!!

I personally have no desire to see it based on the subject matter. I have the highest regard for the director but a well-crafted story, first rate acting and the stamp of approval from the Academy can't generate any interest from me to see these two fine young actors groping each other.

Director Ang Lee eases into a topic as touchy as <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Iraq with a gentle approach. A 60s setting, some gorgeous scenery, a methodical, patient pace, yet half way through the movie, you realize that not only are you watching two guys kissing (when was the last time you saw that? Heck, have I ever seen that?), but that they are going to simulate sex (without the genitals) right there on the screen and you, if you are brave enough, are going to sit through it! <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

(I asked my girlfriend to hold my hand. Girls: it takes a real man to see this movie. Let them take you to a horror movie - you get them back and take them to this.)

Despite all of these political and sexual asides, this is an awesome movie. I recently saw Walk the Line again on cable (already!). While it is a wonderful portrayal of Johnny Cash, it is not an stirringly emotional movie like BrokebackMountain. It is no surprise to me that Brokeback jokes are already in the vernacular of the day. This movie has a profound impact on our current culture.

Heath Ledger and Jake G-something-unpronounceable do a wonderful job. Though they are on the screen through-out the entire movie, they carry the burden as lightly as a T-shirt. Ledger will never be thought lightweight again. There is more acting here than Capote. There is more emotion here than Crash. This was the best movie of the year.

As difficult as homosexual love is to comprehend (for what, the last 2 million years?), this movie makes it real, tangible, tender and poignant. It is story writing, telling and acting at its best. If you like Unforgiven or Million Dollar Baby, you will like this movie.

[H]

• Moderators

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Jake G-something-unpronounceable

Thanks for your thoughts, also, Colin....now definitely looking forward to it!

And it's pronounced Jill-en-hall, although I don't think I can spell it properly.

Brother to Maggie--who was so wonderful in Secretary.

It's funny how grown men act like children when the topic of this movie is brought up.

"...it is a very hard subject" aside from the obvious punchline, what's so hard about the subject?

"...most guys will not watch it, and if they do, they won't admit it." Guys who are insecure, maybe.

"...can't generate any interest from me to see these two fine young actors groping each other." Yep, that's what the movie is all about, them groping each other.

"...if you are brave enough, are going to sit through it...I asked my girlfriend to hold my hand..." Yeah, it's just so frightening.

C'mon guys, if you liked it, just say you liked it. You don't have to qualify it by saying "But I ain't one of them queers, though."

The ironic thing about this movie is that the people who really should watch it are the ones who refuse to see it because they are too insecure in their own sexuality that they will get grossed out by seeing two guys "groping each other." If people could set aside their preudices long enough to watch this movie, they might actually learn something.

This will cause a snafu, in the acceptable,state an federal, prison movie list, for the incarsirated

???

Jay, I wasn't talking about you, or anyone else who posted comments about the movie. I was talking about people who post comments and haven't even seen it.

i wrote straight but not narrow not basis of me being insecure, I was stating, "look I know what the movie was about and I am not going to gay bash it"

Jay, I was only trying to make a humorous shot on what narrow meant; narrow and light as opposed to wide and heavy, that's all. I know what you meant.

As far as the other responses, Colin, very well put; To the other posters; When I posted this I really expected to be BEATEN-UP with the comments, and that's fine. I had always intended to see this movie Before the gay thing became a big(?) deal, remember it at first was never mentioned? I DID have a hard time watching, and I DIDN'T think I would make it through the whole movie, but I did, and I'm glad I did. My problem is NOT with the main characters, but the narrow minded people who ridicule, and beat someone to death because of their sexual preference, That's Wrong, and I'm not afraid to say so.If a movie can spark a question or two, or stop and make you REthink something, hasn't it done it's intended purpose? I am 58 yrs. old, married for over 30 yrs. to the same woman, have 2 grown children, still like lookin' at the ladies, I know who I am, what my preferences are,TRUST ME, watching this movie WILL NOT make you gay, it may however, make you stop and think, and maybe spark a conversation or two. I can't tell others about their feelings on this movie, nor will I attempt to, but you must have an open mind to view this film, and enjoy it for what it is, a good MOVIE. OK, I said it,"Good Movie", if you feel that you have to jump on me for that, come ahead, it's alright, I understand!

It's funny how grown men act like children when the topic of this movie is brought up.

"...it is a very hard subject" aside from the obvious punchline, what's so hard about The ironic thing about this movie is that the people who really should watch it are the ones who refuse to see it because they are too insecure in their own sexuality that they will get grossed out by seeing two guys "groping each other." If people could set aside their preudices long enough to watch this movie, they might actually learn something.

What an intellectually dishonest and insulting bit of propaganda. Rule number one of the militant homosexual handbook is to attack anyone who does not want to be exposed to gay sexual material as "predudiced" or "insecure." I would submit that if you take the homosexual theme and portrayals out of this film, there wouldn't be anything left to make a film about. What could this film possibly teach that can't be taught without the homosexual content? The story, the characters, and the thematic content are expressly contrived to make the film sensational and controversial. One poster mentioned Walk the Line as not emotionally stirring as Brokeback Mountain, and yet Walk the Line is a true story about actual people who dealt with real issues and had real failures and successes in their lives. That's true drama. Brokeback Mountain is cheap, senstational pulp fiction that is just packaged to a higher standard than usual.

i wrote straight but not narrow not basis of me being insecure, I was stating, "look I know what the movie was about and I am not going to gay bash it"

Jay, I was only trying to make a humorous shot on what narrow meant; narrow and light as opposed to wide and heavy, that's all. I know what you meant.

As far as the other responses, Colin, very well put; To the other posters; When I posted this I really expected to be BEATEN-UP with the comments, and that's fine. I had always intended to see this movie Before the gay thing became a big(?) deal, remember it at first was never mentioned? I DID have a hard time watching, and I DIDN'T think I would make it through the whole movie, but I did, and I'm glad I did. My problem is NOT with the main characters, but the narrow minded people who ridicule, and beat someone to death because of their sexual preference, That's Wrong, and I'm not afraid to say so.If a movie can spark a question or two, or stop and make you REthink something, hasn't it done it's intended purpose? I am 58 yrs. old, married for over 30 yrs. to the same woman, have 2 grown children, still like lookin' at the ladies, I know who I am, what my preferences are,TRUST ME, watching this movie WILL NOT make you gay, it may however, make you stop and think, and maybe spark a conversation or two. I can't tell others about their feelings on this movie, nor will I attempt to, but you must have an open mind to view this film, and enjoy it for what it is, a good MOVIE. OK, I said it,"Good Movie", if you feel that you have to jump on me for that, come ahead, it's alright, I understand!

I think he called you fat.

Easy deaf leper, nobody is being militant, attacking you or exposing you to the homo virus. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

It is true that if you take the homosexual content out of the film, you are left with (what?), a couple who herd sheep, sleep together in the mountains and cheat on their spouses. Just another morality play about love. Yet entertainment is indeed contrived to paint conflicts. We love to see beautiful people in gorgeous settings face and, usually, overcome insurmountable odds.

What this film teaches, that can't be taught without the homosexual content, is tolerance and compassion for people who walk a different path than ours. People who by some misfortune are ugly, or ill, or poor, or dumb, or unlovedor gay. It teaches that a great piece of storytelling, acting and direction is about a group effort to make a moving piece of art. It is indeed about contriving to make a film sensational and controversial. It is not about being militant, or attacking the viewer or exposing them (heaven forbid!) to new ideas or concepts or even to notions different than what they have been exposed to before.

[H]

What an intellectually dishonest and insulting bit of propaganda. Rule number one of the militant homosexual handbook is to attack anyone who does not want to be exposed to gay sexual material as "prejudiced" or "insecure." I would submit that if you take the homosexual theme and portrayals out of this film, there wouldn't be anything left to make a film about. What could this film possibly teach that can't be taught without the homosexual content? The story, the characters, and the thematic content are expressly contrived to make the film sensational and controversial. One poster mentioned Walk the Line as not emotionally stirring as Brokeback Mountain, and yet Walk the Line is a true story about actual people who dealt with real issues and had real failures and successes in their lives. That's true drama. Brokeback Mountain is cheap, senstational pulp fiction that is just packaged to a higher standard than usual.

If you are against it so much that you refuse to see it, and then comment on an internet forum about a film that you haven't even seen, you are prejudiced. Insecure, maybe, maybe not? But prejudiced? Definitely.

Yeah, the movie wouldn't be the same without the "homosexual theme and potrayals," but that's kind of the point, isn't it? I mean that's what the story is about.

What you might learn if you watched the movie is that people don't choose to be gay. These guys in the movie would like nothing more than to be "normal" but they aren't. They don't go around acting like flambouyant queens, they are rough and tough men that are forced to hide their true feelings, and live a lie, or else be met with violence. Now that's true drama, and those are real issues.

Walk the line was okay, but a little boring, and more than a little sensationalized. But I can't condone anyone watching it because it shows people using drugs, and cheating on their spouses, which is just plain wrong[:P].

I think he called you fat.

[:'(]