First Impressions: Heresy III's with EICO ST-70 Amp

picky

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, guys. Yeah, I guess I really am pretty "picky" sometimes. Either that, or anal? LOL! It must be from all the years I've been working in Engineering? I do know that when it comes to sound, I have always been picky and that is exactly how I chose my screen name. So, you nailed it, Michael! [:D]

Thanks, guys. Yeah, I guess I really am pretty "picky" sometimes. Either that, or anal? LOL! It must be from all the years I've been working in Engineering? I do know that when it comes to sound, I have always been picky and that is exactly how I chose my screen name. So, you nailed it, Michael! [:D]

Picky,

Your an engineer? Man I will have to raise my rates when I work on the ST70 [;)] LMAO !!!

Craig

The temperature here is going up into the 70's today so I should have some pictures on line for you by tonight. As for tours, everyone on the forum should know they are always welcome to stop by our place. We plan to announce our Klipsch BBQ real soon on the forum. It's going to be in the latter half of July this year.

Craig: Long-story-short - I've been a lot of things in this life: newspaper boy, auto mechanic, Sailor, firefighter, laborer, millwright, musician, sound man, product designer and yes, I was a automotive launch engineer. I am currenlty working as a support analyst/web developer. Perhaps, my screen name should have been "chameleon"? LOL

Very nice write-up!

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Eico ST-70s? what tubes?

How the hell did you wait so long?

What is the temperature operating range for tube amplifiers?

Music sounds better with a lounge chair than a stool (preferably one where the feet can be up)

[H]

Very nice write-up!

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Eico ST-70s? what tubes?

How the hell did you wait so long?

What is the temperature operating range for tube amplifiers?

Music sounds better with a lounge chair than a stool (preferably one where the feet can be up)

[H]

Colin: Thanks for the nice compliment about my write-up. Coming from you, (a professional writer) that certainly means a great deal to me. I minored in writing in college, and I love to write.

The EICO ST-70 has four 7591 Output Pentodes. The ones in my amp appear to be original. They have "EICO" stamped right one them.

The wait wasn't easy. But, having my reference system in the theater to listen to in the meantime made it a bit easier.

As for the temperature operating range of tubes: It's whenever my *** isn't too chilly sitting out there listening to them! LOL [;)]

I've got a nice, comfy lawn chair I'm gonna try out next! [H]

The temperature here is going up into the 70's today so I should have some pictures on line for you by tonight. As for tours, everyone on the forum should know they are always welcome to stop by our place. We plan to announce our Klipsch BBQ real soon on the forum. It's going to be in the latter half of July this year.

Craig: Long-story-short - I've been a lot of things in this life: newspaper boy, auto mechanic, Sailor, firefighter, laborer, millwright, musician, sound man, product designer and yes, I was a automotive launch engineer. I am currenlty working as a support analyst/web developer. Perhaps, my screen name should have been "chameleon"? LOL

\

Picky,

Just to be sure I was completely kinding. We use to have a saying about engineers in the home improvement business. Some of them can be........ its tough for the working stiff to handle when they ask you the density of the pine on your 2" x 4" LOL!!!

Craig

Craig: Yes! I completely understand what you are talking about. We engineers can be a real pain in the kiester sometimes. But, you are talking to someone who has worked on both sides of the fence. So that gives me a great appreciation and respect for both job diciplines. i.e.: I've both, created the drawings and hammered the nails! (and hit my thumb a few times, too) [;)]

Here are some of the pictures I promised you guys.

This is (from top down):

Completely stock, original Eico ST-70 Integrated Tube Amp (1961)

Sony CDP-360Z5 Carousel 5-Disc CD Changer (1988)

Pioneer SX-838 Solid State Receiver (1976) now used as a Tuner

post-10177-13819286763162_thumb.jpg

post-10177-13819291032912_thumb.jpg

post-10177-1381929499279_thumb.jpg

Thanks, Michael!

Yeah, Larry, Thanks. I gotta re-arrange my entire pegboard now. I have several beer signs hanging up among the tools, including two lighted ones. I'll have to take some photos of the whole workbench area after I get it redone. There's also a sign out on the front of the garage that says, "Men's Town!" LOL It's an inside joke between me and a buddy of mine and our wives. It started when we were watching an episode of the old Craig T. Nelson sitcom series 'Coach'.

You had to be there but it was winter, you could see the snow blowing outside the Coach's cabin window and Hayden, Dauber and Luther (Jerry VanDyke) were all bundled up in winter garb complete with goofy winter hats, ready to go outside in a blizzard. And Christine (Shelly Fabares) said, "Where on earth are you boys going in this weather?" The three guys all look at eachother, and then turn and look back at Christine and announce, "We're going to Men's Town!"

...You REALLY had to be there! It was hilarious! So, my buddy and I each got signs for our garages. That was in the early 90's. They've been there ever since.