triode blues

audiosaint

45 watts is a ton of power for any Klipsch speaker. That's exactly how much power my amp puts out. If you want the best speaker for those 45 watts, well that would be the Klipschorn. Next up would be Belle/La Scala, Cornwall. Those recommendations are because those are the best Klipsch speakers, but just about any Klipsch speaker will work well with 45 watts.

On the other hand, if you are asking about an SET amp with 45 tubes, which only put out about 1 watt or so, then you need the most efficient speaker you can get. The Klipschorn again wins here with the Belle and La Scala also providing equivalent sensitivity.

first make sure that you do indeed love the sound of horns on all types of music -

the bigger the better, not for the power, 45 tube watts is plenty of power, but for the delicate sound of the triodes at low power -

I still recommend a sub for the bass -

I recently heard the Chorus IIs and was very impressed at what $500 can buy in a speaker without a huge footprint, but I would look for any of the classic or Reference line models ...

cwm30.gif

------------------

Cornwalls & Klipsch subs; leather couch & feet up; lights out & tubes glowing!

This message has been edited by Colin on 10-31-2001 at 10:17 AM

45 triode tube watts would be more than enough for most of the Klipsch line. For sound alone, I would perhaps look into the vintage Klipsch if you have the room (put major emphasis on HAVE THE ROOM). With something like the Cornwall, 45 triode watts would take you to plently of output, and depending on room and placement, satisfying bass. I have never really been a proponent of subs as most just add more harm than good. One of the beautiful things about horns is the speed and articulation.

What is your amp?

kh

f>s>

s y s t e m

Linn LP-12/Linn Basic Plus/Sumiko Blue Point

Rega Planet

Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Creek OBH-12 Passive

Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

DIYCable Wire - Various

ProAc Mini Towers

1977 Klipsch Cornwall 1

Alternate System:

EICO HF-81

ASUSA A-4 EL-34 UL

EICO HFT-90 Tube FM Tuner

Sumo Aurora Tuner

Nakamichi CR-7af>s>

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 10-31-2001 at 05:56 AM

greetings fellow philes, I should have been more specific about the sort of delema I'm faced with; I'm using a caryv12 with an 84 db inefficiant spendor speaker. Great speaker with 100 ss watts, but possitively slow soggy and too soft with the cary amp. I'm curious to know if these highly efficient klipsch speakers will cure the blues. thanks for your input guys your much more helpful than most dealers who seem to only want to tell a person what they want to here, to make the big score. audiosaint

You own the new Cary V12? That amp is a monster with six EL-34 per side... What is your preamp, source, and wire? To be honest, while this wont be a popular comment within the Klipsch forum, I really think you could do better than the modern assortment of Klipsch speakers, although the new series is apparantly a lot better than the last offerings.

Have you auditioned any of the Silverline or Triangle products? If you want a tight, well-defined bottom end with amazing extension, take a look at the Silverline Sonata II. I just heard this speaker a few weeks ago and the build quality and sound was top notch. The speaker had excellent dynamics and was very extended. It's a VERY efficient model coming in around 95dB. I heard them with the new Joule Electra Stargate Monoblocks which employ the amazing 6C33CB tubes, run in either push pull or parallel single-ended mode. This is around 30 class A triode watts single-ended and 40w triode push pull.

The sound was ANYTHING BUT soft and mushy! Although I didnt find the Joule Stargate to be the most musical amp I have heard, it did really have amazing transparency. I could see some really preferring it. But based on your comments, I really think you should give the Silverline Sonata and Sonatina a seriuos look. These two efficient models sound like what you are after. Drop me a line if you want some more specific info.

kh

f>s>

Or...you might try listening to a pair of Chorus or Chorus II's (101db @ 1w/m) if you get the chance. These will set you back $500 - $700 on eBay and AudiogoN (if you can find them) and were manufactured between 1987 - 1996. They're boxy (39" x 18.5" x 16") but sound wonderful w/tubes (had mine hooked up to Colin's rig). Just another thought...

Mike

Tom, I dont think the ultimate goal of 106dB is something that everyone should shoot for regardless of any other consideration. The fact that you are into horns without even a feined glance towards other options is also telling. We are not in the High Efficiency Speaker Asylum. I am WELL aware of the efficiency of horns with many modern components such as the Oris 150 going up in the 106-108dB range depending, not to mention the vintage gear you are using for most of your system. And I also realize this IS the Klipsch forum... it's just that I do not happen to find the modern Klipsch as neutral speaker as I like. But iF you think I am not aware of even the vintage Klipsch ratings well into the 100s, you are missing the boat. Alas, my Cornwall 1 is a paltry 98dB or so and the bass driver is not horn loaded.

Frankly, I dont think horns are for everyone and you are not going to be seeing a "HORNS OR BUST" attitude from this corner. There are some things horns do not do well and I have to say that I have heard more BAD horns than good. In fact, I have heard some REALLY bad horns. OF course, when they ARE good, and fed the right source, they can be magical; believe me, I know of what you love in that horn sound. But every time you see me mention a speaker under 100dB, can you refrain from the "a REAL Horny would" banter?

I personally think that 45 watts of Triode power can do a lot of things with MANY speakers, not only horns. However, did you see my first reply in this thread? "IF YOU HAVE THE ROOM, LOOK TO THE VINTAGE KLIPSCH LINE." Vintage meaning KHorn, Belle, LaScala or even Cornwall since 45 watts, my dear horny friend, would drive the Cornwall to DEAFENING levels (as if this is even the real point).

Higher and higher Efficiency is not the only answer, however. Nor is a horn. In order to see the whole picture pehaps you need to be open to the whole picture. You have long ago written off every single non-horn as evidenced by your past comments to me. I personally think all the options are still viable, especially with something like a 45w triode/ultralinear PP amp like the Cary V12, which Dennis Had designed to run with a wider range of speakers than his 5-8w single-ended designs.

khf>s>

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 11-02-2001 at 08:16 AM

yes, Kelly, but isn't the few magical moments what it is all about? isn't the illusory reproduction of the live event what being an audiophile is all about? aren't we striving to recreate the live musical concert, not just the movie theater experience? otherwise we would all have cute little jewel cubes for background music -

FYI: According to my 2000 survey of 49 different speakers with a price range of $300 to $20,200 (including Klipsch horns and Wilson Watt/Puppies), the published efficiency ratings of the mass market home and audiophile loudspeaker was in the range of 86 to 88 dB. In fact, most of the speakers Stereophile has reviewed form a bulge at the left end of the chart - no wonder that the magazine loves super power amps.

They looked at 261 speakers reviewed between 91 and 97. "The mean measured sensitivity is 88 dB/2.83v/m: the median is 85 dB(B). Almost 40% of the models measures had B-weighted sensitivities falling between 84.5 dB and 87.4 dB. The distribution seems roughly "Normal", with only a few models falling bellow 80 dB(B) or above 90 dB(B). The low-sensitivity models tend to be panel speakers of various kinds, while all speakers of 95 dB(B) sensitivity or higher are professional monitors " No wonder one article found Klipsch to be good reference speakers; their super and ultra-efficiency makes them sound like professional monitors.

Audio magazines, like Stereophile, will describe a 90-decibel per watt per meter (dB/w/m) as efficient. These are typically radiator style (cone) drivers in vented (ported) boxes, while horn style loudspeakers will rank even higher in efficiency. So 92 dB/w/m sensitivity can be considered high efficiency. Super-efficient speakers would be 97 dB/w/m or better. While rare loudspeaker that measure 103 or more dB/w/m are truly ultra efficient systems.

So that:

80 84 = low efficiency

85 89 = average efficiency

90 94 = high efficiency

95 99 = super efficient

100 104 = ultra efficient

105 + = amazing, off the charts

cwm15.gif

------------------

Cornwalls & Klipsch subs; leather couch & feet up; lights out & tubes glowing!

This message has been edited by Colin on 11-02-2001 at 12:56 PM