new receiver for klipsch forte'

hn123

Hello All,

Have a pair of Klipsch Forte', made in 1989, which I paid around $1500/pair walnut finish in 1990. Along with that, I bought the DRA-825R receiver .

After that many years, I think time for new receiver and add a sub for music and karaoke enhancing; all together are using these speakers.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Those Forte's are just broken in. Probably seemed like alot of money back then, but they have stood the test of time, and have become a good investment. First question these guys will ask, Tubes or Solid State, Amp/Pre or Receiver,2ch or HT, if ideas was your goal, youv'e come to the right place. There are many knowledgable people here, and they are more than glad to send ideas your way, use their knowledge, read and learn. Good Luck whatever you decide.

If you really need to have a Receiver rather than and integrated amplifier or separates you HAVE to at least consider the Outlaw Audio RR2150 Receiver. It was reviewed on the cover of the March issue of Stereofile. ($599.00 brand new)

"Old World looks, New World Functionality."

If I didn't already have more gear than I need I would buy one.

I was impressed with what Outlaw has been able to put together and still keep the price low. (The only way you can buy one is direct from Outlaw)

Good luck,

If you really need to have a Receiver rather than and integrated amplifier or separates you HAVE to at least consider the Outlaw Audio RR2150 Receiver. It was reviewed on the cover of the March issue of Stereofile. ($599.00 brand new)

"Old World looks, New World Functionality."

If I didn't already have more gear than I need I would buy one.

I was impressed with what Outlaw has been able to put together and still keep the price low. (The only way you can buy one is direct from Outlaw)

Good luck,

Thanks for the responding.

So what you meant is I can buy integrated amplifier add into my current receiver? and if that is the case, then which one should be good? do I still need a sub to it?

And comparing with this set up, the Outlaw receiver is better or both just come out the same result?

Appreciated.

I agree with NMR Guy...I have had very good luck with my Outlaw 950 PrePro, 7100 100 X 7 Amp and LFM-1 Sub (Outlaw and Hsu designed)...Good Luck and welcome to Klipsch...Bill

Your recommendation is sincerely considered.

Thank you.

Those Forte's are just broken in. Probably seemed like alot of money back then, but they have stood the test of time, and have become a good investment.

It's worth every single penny I spent on them. Mine still in new condition.{/quote]

First question these guys will ask, Tubes or Solid State, Amp/Pre or Receiver,2ch or HT, if ideas was your goal, youv'e come to the right place. There are many knowledgable people here, and they are more than glad to send ideas your way, use their knowledge, read and learn. Good Luck whatever you decide.

What a warm welcomed! Thank you!

As have stated above, I need for 2ch only.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

I'm not familiar with the DRA-825R reciever, but there have been many

improvements since 1990 to the preamp stage of your typical reciever. I

know you're only looking for 2-channel, but all the 2-channel recievers

have pretty much been replaced by multichannel. And since you also

mention using a sub you should highly consider taking advantage of the

additional bass management features that come with every HT receiver.

The additional channels would just go unused.

And you also mention doing karaoke...how do you have that system

connected? The suggestion to go with a seperate amplifier might be a

good route to take as it might be easier to integrate into the karaoke

equipment, but it will entirely depend on what you already own. Just

keep in mind that when using the sub you will need some form of

crossover to filter the low frequencies away from your forte's. If you

don't have much karaoke equipment then I would again suggest going the

HT reciever route and plugging the karaoke system into the reciever

(again, taking advantage of the bass management settings).

As far as brands to look at, I would recommend either Denon or Yamaha in your situation.

[:)]

I'm not familiar with the DRA-825R reciever, but there have been many improvements since 1990 to the preamp stage of your typical reciever. I know you're only looking for 2-channel, but all the 2-channel recievers have pretty much been replaced by multichannel. And since you also mention using a sub you should highly consider taking advantage of the additional bass management features that come with every HT receiver. The additional channels would just go unused.

And you also mention doing karaoke...how do you have that system connected? The suggestion to go with a seperate amplifier might be a good route to take as it might be easier to integrate into the karaoke equipment, but it will entirely depend on what you already own. Just keep in mind that when using the sub you will need some form of crossover to filter the low frequencies away from your forte's. If you don't have much karaoke equipment then I would again suggest going the HT reciever route and plugging the karaoke system into the reciever (again, taking advantage of the bass management settings).

As far as brands to look at, I would recommend either Denon or Yamaha in your situation.

1. DRA-825A, made by Denon in 1989. It does not have the sub hookup option in the back.

2. My setting:

a. dvd player -> mixer -> receiver

b. poineer laser disc player -> receiver

c. wireless shure microphone -> mixer

As far as 2channel or HT, I would not mind if the price is right and sound is good for the future convenience.

On Denon and Yamaha, are there specific models should I take a closer look? thank you.

Sincerely appreciate to your replying

So what price range are you looking at? And how loud do you crank the karaoke?

One thing you can do with an HT reciever is have two seperate signal paths for the DVD player, so:

a. dvd player analog output -> mixer -> reciever

-just like you have it now for karaoke

b. dvd player digital output -> reciever.

-this would give you a cleaner signal path since there will

be no mixer in the middle. And usually you can have the digital and

analog outputs working at the same time, which means you don't ever

have to move cables around. And finally, the newer HT recievers have

much better DACs (digital to analog converter). Digital transmission is

lossless which means you will improve the quality of your dvd player at

the same time.

Another advantage to this approach is that you can have seperate

settings on the reciever between 2-channel music listening and karaoke

mode. And if you wanted to be creative you could use the analog

pre-inputs on the reciever when in karaoke mode and use the rear

channel amplifiers to power stage monitors (since you won't need rears

for movies). Though if you bought stage monitors there is no reason why

you couldn't also use them as rears for movies...just use the digital

output from the dvd player. So no need to move cables around or

anything, just one click of the button and move the monitors to the

back of the room.

Something like the Denon 1906 or 2106 would probably be enough, but if

you could swing it I'd go with the 3806. Their MSRP's are $550, $700,

and $1300 respectively. You can of course find them for cheaper in a

real store/online. Here is a comparison table:

http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/257.asp?compareitem=623&compareitem=554&compareitem=545&imageField.x=66&imageField.y=15

And some things to look for:

power output/power supplies (the 3606 has 4, the rest share one -

the difference is apparent with the distortion levels the outputs were

rated at)

Auto/Manual Room Equalization

Audyssey MultEqxt Room Eq. with up to eight position setup

24-bit/192-kHz DACs Burr-Brown PCM-1791 (some of the best DAC's on the market...that's not to say the 2106/1906 have bad DAC's)

Variable High/Low Pass Crossover Points (12/24dB) 40 / 60/80 / 100 / 120 / 150 / 200 / 250

Dual Surround Mode Spkr. Selector

Stereo/Direct Modes w/Pure Analog Path

Hope this helps. Btw, there is nothing wrong keeping it simple and

going with a 2-channel reciever either. Just trying to give you more

options. Though if you went 2-channel I would try to find one with

digital inputs and subwoofer management. Auto/Man room EQ is cool, but

not entirely necessary.

So what price range are you looking at? And how loud do you crank the karaoke?

One thing you can do with an HT reciever is have two seperate signal paths for the DVD player, so:

a. dvd player analog output -> mixer -> reciever

-just like you have it now for karaoke

b. dvd player digital output -> reciever.

-this would give you a cleaner signal path since there will be no mixer in the middle. And usually you can have the digital and analog outputs working at the same time, which means you don't ever have to move cables around. And finally, the newer HT recievers have much better DACs (digital to analog converter). Digital transmission is lossless which means you will improve the quality of your dvd player at the same time.

Another advantage to this approach is that you can have seperate settings on the reciever between 2-channel music listening and karaoke mode. And if you wanted to be creative you could use the analog pre-inputs on the reciever when in karaoke mode and use the rear channel amplifiers to power stage monitors (since you won't need rears for movies). Though if you bought stage monitors there is no reason why you couldn't also use them as rears for movies...just use the digital output from the dvd player. So no need to move cables around or anything, just one click of the button and move the monitors to the back of the room.

Something like the Denon 1906 or 2106 would probably be enough, but if you could swing it I'd go with the 3806. Their MSRP's are $550, $700, and $1300 respectively. You can of course find them for cheaper in a real store/online. Here is a comparison table:

http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/257.asp?compareitem=623&compareitem=554&compareitem=545&imageField.x=66&imageField.y=15

And some things to look for:

power output/power supplies (the 3606 has 4, the rest share one - the difference is apparent with the distortion levels the outputs were rated at)

Auto/Manual Room Equalization

Audyssey MultEqxt Room Eq. with up to eight position setup

24-bit/192-kHz DACs Burr-Brown PCM-1791 (some of the best DAC's on the market...that's not to say the 2106/1906 have bad DAC's)

Variable High/Low Pass Crossover Points (12/24dB) 40 / 60/80 / 100 / 120 / 150 / 200 / 250

Dual Surround Mode Spkr. Selector

Stereo/Direct Modes w/Pure Analog Path

Hope this helps. Btw, there is nothing wrong keeping it simple and going with a 2-channel reciever either. Just trying to give you more options. Though if you went 2-channel I would try to find one with digital inputs and subwoofer management. Auto/Man room EQ is cool, but not entirely necessary.

1. According to what you stated, I do not need anything else besides the Denon receiver above?

2. Please break down the 2-channel with sub for me. So, I can compare which one should go for to get the best and pay the least. I know I am greedy. Please forgive me :)

Your input is respectfully appreciated!

Yes, all you need is the reciever (and probably a few extra cables - no biggy).

And here's both in the way you describe it.

2-channel reciever with subwoofer management:

dvd player -> mixer -> reciever -> subwoofer | Forte

pioneer laser disc player -> receiver -> subwoofer | Forte

wireless shure microphone -> mixer -> reciever -> subwoofer | Forte

The "|" indicates that there are multiple different connections.

In other words, the Forte's get connected to the LR main amp outputs

and the subwoofer gets connected to the subwoofer pre-out.

Mutl-channel reciever:

dvd player analog -> mixer -> analog pre-input reciever (use additional pre-in's for monitors from the aux send on the mixer) -> subwoofer | Forte | Monitors

wireless shure microphone -> mixer -> analog pre-in reciever reciever (use additional pre-in's for monitors from the aux send on the mixer) -> subwoofer | Forte | Monitors

dvd player digital -> digital input reciever -> subwoofer | Forte | surround speakers (same as monitors)

The subwoofer and forte are connected the same (LR main outs, sub

preout) and the surround speakers/monitors get connected to the

surround LR amplifier outputs. Just make sure the aux sends from the

mixer are connected to the surround LR pre-ins.

Yes, all you need is the reciever (and probably a few extra cables - no biggy).

And here's both in the way you describe it.

2-channel reciever with subwoofer management:

dvd player -> mixer -> reciever -> subwoofer | Forte

wireless shure microphone -> mixer -> reciever -> subwoofer | Forte

Very detailings! Thank you thank you !

So if I decide to take the 2-channel, to you, which receiver and subwoofer that would go along with my Forte'?

Thanks

edited: Eitheir way taking, 2-channed / HT, do I really need a sub for the forte'?

NMR Guy,

Which integrated amplifier, or pre-amp, that would you recommend?

Thank you.

The Outlaw mentioned would be great.HK offers a few nice stereo

receivers also,good sound w/Klipsch.You should also check out the

Cambridge Audio 640a(audioadvisor.com).Thats a start,also check any

local dealers for a unit you can audition in your price range at

home.Almost forgot,I'd suggest the Rotel line for price/performance.

The Outlaw mentioned would be great.HK offers a few nice stereo receivers also,good sound w/Klipsch.You should also check out the Cambridge Audio 640a(audioadvisor.com).Thats a start,also check any local dealers for a unit you can audition in your price range at home.Almost forgot,I'd suggest the Rotel line for price/performance.

Which one in Rotel, would you recommend? should I go with separates, integrated amplifier or receiver?

Thank you.

There's no easy answer to that question.To start,decide how much is the

most you want to spend.Once you have a number then all you have to do

is look at those units in that price range.Rotel is a good product a

good price,all their units sound good,pic the one in your budget.There

are many others a little higher or lower price that are good too,Rotel

just found a good compromise of price/performance/features for me.

As to seperates,I prefer em' but thats only for me.If you only need

2channels get a pre and amp,Rotel makes several,also check out the

Cambridge set.If you think you may want Home Theater or 5ch audio you

need a prepro/amps or a 5/7 channel avr that can do that.It all comes

down to money,X dollars only gets products in that class,some are a

little better bargain than others.