Vertical Horn Cornwall II's and Shorthorn find

Dave in ABQ

[:)]

I haven't had a chance until now to post a thread on my weekend Klipsch find. I bought this unlikely pair from the orginal owner. She said they bought the Shorthorn back in 1958 and later (around 1968 or so) bought the Cornwall. The dealer told them it was the closest match to their old Klipsch. They were hooked up to their stereo in a really large room and sounded spectacular. I had no choice but to buy them.

I paid way over my budget for the pair and a Mac 1700 receiver, but I figure I might sell one or both speakers and keep the Mac for free, plus a little on the side. I sure wish I had the room to mate the Cornwall (with vertical horns) with my Khorns, with my Forte's serving a close enough match for my rears, but my room is not even big enough for what I have as is. [:(] If both speakers had been Cornwalls, I would be sorely tempted to keep the Corns and sell somethig else to pay for them.

Bye the way, the Mac sounds great with my Khorns. Not tubes, but way smoother sounding than my big vintage Japanese receivers or my modern Kenwood receiver. I need to get my Scott to Craig.......

Regarding the speakers, the Cornwalls sound as good as everyone on the fourm has raved about them. Great bass, and the classic Klipsch details and dynamics. They make my Fortes sound "little" next to them (though the Fortes might be a little tamer on the highs). They sure impresive looking and great sounding speakers!

A suprise was the "little" Shorthorns. WOW! They don't have the bass of the Cornwalls let alone the Khorns, but they sure have a sweet sounding midrange. With another Shorty in the other corner, these would make an awsome sounding setup in a smaller room with a sub. The drivers are all very impresive looking with large University horns and a monster 15" Stephens Trusonic woofer (makes the Cornwalls woofer look cheap by comparison). I've been using a pair of old 12" Stephens coaxils speakers that I bought a couple of months ago (keep forgeting to post pics), and I love them. Less dynamic then Klipsch, but a very smooth and beautiful sounding midrange with tight deep bass. Different flavors for different moods. The Shorthorns have the rich smooth mids of my little Stephens boxes, with the detailed crisp sound of the Khorns, with low end bass been the only loss. God I wish I had a larger home and a buget that allowed me to keep all the audio I find. Oh well, at least my wife "let" me keep the Khorns I found last September, I can't cry too much.

Heres some pictues of the beauties, with a few nudies for you pervs. [;)]

post-14382-13819295270896_thumb.jpg

Hey Clarence, thank you and yes I got a pretty good deal. I'm not sure yet if I'll sell one or more of the two speakers. I know I'll get grief from the wife if I don't, but I know I'll kick myself later if I do. Could have worse things happen. : ) I do know, I want to enjoy them for a while longer.

David

Thanks Seadog. Yes the cain looks nice. Wish my Horns had that instead of the poop brown tweedy cloth. The cain has a couple of loose strands here and there, but looks beautiful and could probably be fixed up.

I got to run now, as I'm at work and my replacement should be here soon. I'll be back tomorow. Have a good night guys and gals!

Good job, Dave!

The Shorthorn usually comes with side wings like the Khorn, but if yours didn't, it may be due to you have a truncated home plate. Many shorties have a 90 degree corner that extends about 10" beyond the rear of the speaker, making the enclosure much less WAF friendly.

BTW, your Mac does have a tube tuner! The 1500 was all tube, the 1700 is a SS amp with tube tuner, and the 1900 is all SS.

great find, magnificent condition, and beautiful photos. I wish my Shorthorn had all the components, alas only a coaxial Jensen woofer.

That CW would be a great center speaker between 2 Khorns if you don't have one already. Use the Shortie for a small mono tube rig in a den, etc.

Michael

Thanks for all the input and sugestions guys! I'm going to have to take a picture of my living room some time to show what an understanding wife I do have. I think I'm pushing her limits though. [:)]

Dr. Who, Your right the Shortys are interesting speakers. Ironically, if I had a second match with a sub, I think they would probalbly be a better over all speaker in my too small living room then the Khorns. (not that I'm getting rid of the Khonrs in my lifetime).

Sheite Dave, correct you are about the tube tuner section in the Mac 1700. Thats part of what make fight my salivation glands at the ladys house. Sure has a nice musical sound to it. My first Mac. Hope to someday have a pair of MC240's and a good tube preamp.

Michael and Lary I know the veritical horned Corn is supposed to be a great center channel speakers, but I have my 32" tv on a Boltz metal rack that holds the TV perfect and my modern equipment in it. My vintage gear sits on a large pine rack on the side of my room with a switch box located between the two for switching my speakers between vintage and modern. Looks and works great and my wife loves it. I've had a pair of old Fisher XP-15 speakers under the TV for a while and my wife would'nt be pleased with going back to that. Oh the agony of not having an ideal room and limited funds.

I'm deffinetly going to have to sell at least the Shorthorns to put some money back in my bank. I was planning on selling the Cornwall (since its a single), and keeping the Mac, but now I'm going to have to think about that some more. Don't want to live in the world of audio regrets.