Back to square one in the subwoofer market

jdm56

Ear, what about movies like "War of the Worlds" and "The Incredibles"? They have sustained levels in the teens and single digits? They give my big IB quite a work out. Most music I listen to barely lights up the level meter on my BFD, but on movies, it gets on up there. (I must admit, I don't own any organ music!)

I rather have well reproduced REAL instrument that exists rather than some fake Hollywood created FAKE sound of some FAKE event. [;)]

But yes with a sub like your giant IB,anything that has abyss deep content must be a one of a kind experience.

I rather have well reproduced REAL instrument that exists rather than some fake Hollywood created FAKE sound of some FAKE event. [;)]

My point was merely, that to accurately reproduce todays movie soundtracks, you need a sub that will be accurate below 20Hz. Fake or real there's some very low content in DVD's. I've allways thought that movies tax a sub more than music, especially some of the new stuff out there.

Pardon me while I post a wee li'l update:

I ordered two Dayton Titanic III 10's and they were delivered by UPS yesterday. Needless to say, I've been a busy little beaver unpacking, assembling and setting them up. In fact, I'm still knee deep in the set-up as I haven't quite settled on a location, but I'm getting close!

These little pups may be be kinda plain jane, but they are one solid performing value, imo. They are the best subs I've had so far. Better than the Infinity Alpha 1200's and better than the ADS HT12. (yeah I know - my experience with subs is very limited!) Two of them in my room (depending on location) can go solidly down to the 25Hz band on my S'phile 1/3 octave warble tone test CD. And they are smoother than either of my previous subs --much smoother than the big ADS bandpass. Yet they are small enough to be fairly easy to move. Still, they are darned heavy for their size. I'm guessing around 55pounds. Pretty solid for a compact 10 incher! I guess this is all old news, as these subs have been around awhile.

Anyway, that's the situation here. Gotta get back to the set-up ritual! (the little woman just loves those test tones! -not)

update #2:

OK, after trying many possibilities, the new subs have settled, at least for the time being, in the rear corners of my music room --the same place other subs have ended up. Crossover to mains set at 80 Hz, phase and level tweaked to within a gnat's chin whisker. In this location, the extension is not the greatest they are capable of, but they are smoother. They have pretty much signed off by 30 Hz, but the only significant deviation from flat is a 5-6 dB peak in the 63 Hz band. I think I would need an EQ to totally get rid of that, as it is a room problem.

Why two subs? Maybe it's just this room, but two always measure smoother than one. Much smoother. And smooth is where it's at, baby![H] Plus, two, even though they are at opposite ends of the room, will still give me more clean output. And considering the corner placement, I think these two little 10"ers will provide all the clean output I will need.

Just a note about my experience with Parts Express: First Rate! I e-mailed their customer service with a couple of questions before buying anything, and I received a response within just a few minutes. They shipped when they said they would, and the packing was outstanding. All four boxes (two subs) arrived in good shape via UPS. All the parts were of very good quality (those Titanic drivers are things of beauty!) and everything went together easily, and once assembled, worked flawlessly. If there is a better brand new sub out there for $350 delivered to your front door, I haven't found it! Highly recommended!!