Surround speaker placement

chiroguy

Hi, what model do you have, what is the height of the ceiling, and at what height would they be mounted at? If you can employ some type of swivel bracket, you'll be able to experiment with the optimal angle, if any.

"No System Profile exists for this member."

Unless the surrounds are unusually high or low relative to ear height, there is no need to "aim" them. Typically mount them 6 - 7' off the floor. The horns have a 60 degree high dispersion pattern so at this height your listening position will be in the coverage area of the speaker. If you sit very close to the wall where they are mounted, then lower the mouinting height or pursue your idea of aiming them at your sweet spot.

I have the RS-10's and the ceiling is eight feet high. I also do have a swivel bracket for them. I was just wanting to know if you get better sound quality by keeping the speakers higher and aiming them at the listening area or lowering them with no angle. Any preference?

First, is it this for a 5.1 system? If so , according to the Dolby surround manual, they should go on the side walls. Nobody seemed to mention that. I have seen to many installations with surrounds on the rear walls because people simply did not know better!

efzauner wrote the following post at 04-27-2006 8:54 AM:

First, is it this for a 5.1 system? If so , according to the Dolby surround manual, they should go on the side walls. Nobody seemed to mention that. I have seen to many installations with surrounds on the rear walls because people simply did not know better!

You don't "have" to put them on the side walls you can put them on the rear also. That is just a recommendation. It is all a matter of preference. On top of that my manual recommends for them to be on the rear walls. so it all depends on what manual a person looks at also.

Dolby suggests dipole speakers which MUST go on the sides if their null is to be directed at the listening position. That way, all of the sound that reaches the listener is diffuse, having reflected off some wall in the room.

Klipsch surrounds are not dipoles. They have no null and work well whether on the side or rear walls.