Elizabethtown

ygmn

Cameron Crowe movie...

Great sound track of songs.... Great stuff....

Good visuals of the Kentucky country side and during the road trip home...

Not your typical mainstream movie...

Quirky comes to mind....but entertaining as well..

Worth a watch....

It's interesting that you posted this. I just returned <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Elizabethtown to the local library without watching it. I guess I'll check it out again.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

My original interest was in the town itself. In 2003, I purchased a used Chevy Astro cargo van through eBay and flew to Dallas to take delivery. On the way home to Michigan the following occurred:

· Locked myself in the back in a Wal-Mart parking lot in Texas; had to jimmy bulkhead door;

· Drove around Hope looking for signs of Klipsch and the original tin-roofed telephone company/factory, without luck (testosterone prevented asking directions);

· Encountered terrible ice storm in Kentucky;

· Starter motor spontaneously engaged at 45 mph and burned up while driving in ice storm;

· Got towed to Chevy dealer in E-Town shortly before closing time;

· Service department called local parts store for starter motor and mechanic agreed to stay late to replace the starter;

· Set out again at 9PM still in ice storm, but decided to turn around and spend the night in E-Town;

· Starter motor again spontaneously engaged at 40 mph and burned up;

· Again was towed to Chevy dealer in E-Town, this time at opening time;

· Service dept. ordered another starter motor, and this time let the van run in the shop until the starter again spontaneously engaged, but was shut off before destroying itself;

· The problem was traced to a defective neutral safety switch;

· Chevy dealer replaced the switch, did not charge me for the 2nd starter motor and reimbursed me for 2nd tow;

· Upon my return to Michigan, I called the Domino's Pizza store in E-Town and had them deliver pizza to the Chevy dealers service department;

· Shortly thereafter the van was totaled by a woman talking on her cell phone who failed to note that her light had been red for approximately 15 seconds; and

· No one was hurt and she was ticketed.

I wonder if Ill recognize any of the local scenery.

• Moderators

Sounds like one heck of a trip there, Neil!

I'm a little mixed about this movie myself. Parts of it I really liked, parts of it I really didn't. It seemed to be all over the place--no real cohesiveness. My favorite parts were the extended phone conversation, the groom at the hotel, Free Bird, and the last 15 minutes of the movie.

I have two questions, though:

1. How on earth did she put together the road trip map and corresponding CDs in a matter of a few days??

2. And what the heck was wrong with the tennis shoes??

Seeing Susan Sarandon tap dance is probably worth the price of rental, though. And the great soundtrack.

Wow, I thought only I had days like those!

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

The movie? Yawn, chick flick. Yeah, how did she do that (yet another female test for men). [A]

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I again checked out Elizabethtown from the local library, only this time I actually watched it. It was OK, but I was disappointed in the absence of recognizable locations in E-Town. They didn't even have a scene in the service department of the Chevrolet-Nissan dealer. What were they thinkng?

I'm with Amy regarding the shoes. What kind of safety issue could have prompted a recall of shoes? If they explained, I sure missed it.

• 2 weeks later...

Kirsten is a goddess--and a good actress. I really don't think I would have watched this movie all the way through if she wasn't gracing it with her presence--

Strange mix of elements -- father's death, screwing up designing a shoe, suicidal main character, travel, southern family relationships, a wild wedding party, old music choices coming from a 20+ year old character--a real mixed bag of story lines still made watchable by Cameron Crowe, but I think he was trying to do too much--

Did I say Kirsten is a goddess?