Can $ 700 get me a good sacd or TT

mowntnbkr

Look at Music Hall, Pro-Ject, Rega to start with - used you may find even more bang for the turntable buck.

SACD - look at Philips 963a - Typically 200-250.00 - add the Blackgate cap to the power supply for about 50.00 and you have a great CD/SACD player that also does DVD video.

Denon 2900 - used or refurb - 400-500.00

Look at Music Hall, Pro-Ject, Rega to start with - used you may find even more bang for the turntable buck.

SACD - look at Philips 963a - Typically 200-250.00 - add the Blackgate cap to the power supply for about 50.00 and you have a great CD/SACD player that also does DVD video.

Denon 2900 - used or refurb - 400-500.00

Turntables I have no experience with, budget CD players,...that's another story. Yea, Philips 963a,...except to the best of my knowledge they don;t make them anymore.

Used CD players? I bought a used Rega Planet that was aid to be "Lightly used' at a local Higher end HiFi shop. It seemed to be a pretty good deal at $400.00, and I must admit it sounded great! Except that one month later it bagan to skip,...lightly at first and only on tracks with lots of bass, then a little more,...then the damm thing skiped to beat hell on every track of anything.

I was bummed so I called the U.S. distributer in Texas,...I spoke to "The man" himself. He explained that Rega has lots of customers who buy their CD players because thay have had such positive experiences with their other products. He went on to explain that unlike other audio products that can last for quite a long while ALL CD players, regardless of the cost will lose their laser's. When this happens it costs more to fix the laser than it would be to, in many case just buy a new player.

He offered to have me send my Planet to their repair center in California,...if it turned out to be the laser he would see what he could do about getting me a good deal on a new Rega player. (I haven't sent it back, but at some point I might)

I could go on with my used Carey CD player story, but it MUCH more painful.

Bottom line, I will not be buying anymore used CD players.

Toshiba 6390. 24/196 for about $60.00,...when it breaks, toss it!

Regards,

I have to agree with NMR Guy about the used cd player situation. I bought a used California Audio Labs player, from my dad, of all people, and I knew it was taken care of and used lightly. However, sure enough, after just a few months of use, it was skipping like crazy. Finally stopped reading discs altogether, so I smashed it and bought a new Marantz for $150 that's been working for years. I've got a stack almost as tall as me of used cd players that died, and were given their subsquent reward of being reduced to rubble. (It's a stress reliever!) [:)]

-Jon