Klipschorn/Sub addition

frt8dog

This is my first post ...so go easy on me folks. I presently have the WPL20 preamp(newest pre-amp) and WPA3.5 monoblocks driving '78 K-Horns. I am very pleased with the results. If I decide to add a subwoofer (RSW 15) maybe...is it possible to drive the sub with so little watts (7 max) from the tube mono blocks? Would you damage the sub? Is there a minimum watts required to drive the Klipsch subs? I'm very impressed with the knowledge of all the folks on this BB and I've learned a lot...so I thought I'd ask for opinions concerning this matter, any help would be appreciated. Thanks frt8dog

The Klipsch subs already have their own amps built in. You would run a line level interconnect from the pre-amp to the sub. This would probably be the best approach. Or you could run the speaker level outputs from your mono blocks into the speaker level inputs on the RSW sub, and then run the speaker level outputs to your speakers. The sub would then down convert the signal to a usable level, and take it from there for amplifying the low bass signals. Your main speakers would get a crossed over signal from the sub, but at the same power that your mono block is outputting (i.e. it is basically passed through the sub, just going through a crossover).

So either way, you are using the internal amp of the sub, and not the amp power from your monoblocks.

These new subs have 1000W RMS amps (2400W dynamic) built in.

Bryan

------------------

"... But Honey - I promise this is the last thing I will have to buy for the Home Theater"

Mistubishi VS60603 60" RPTV

Denon AVR 3802 Receiver

Denon DVM 1800 DVD Changer

JVC 3600U SVHS VCR

RCA DirecTV Satellite Tuner

Klipsch RB5 - Mains

Klipsch RC3 - Center

Klipsch RCW3 - In-wall Surrounds

Velodyne SPL1200 Subwoofer

Monster HTS1000 Power Conditioner

Acoustic Research Pro Series Interconnects

The current Klipsch subwoofers are powered subwoofers. They have their own power amplifiers built in. So, the maximum output power of your monoblocks is not an issue. Haven't seen a RSW-15 yet. But, according to the specifications on the Klipsch site, the RSW-15 has line level inputs and outputs. It doesn't mention speaker level inputs. So, it looks like you would just route your preamp outputs to the subwoofer, and route the subwoofer outpus to you monoblocks.

looks like you have a very musical system, you will be surprised at how the 7 tune watts going to the Khorns keep up with the hundreds of SS watts going into the sub ...

cwm30.gif

------------------

Cornwalls & Klipsch subs; leather couch & feet up; lights out & tubes glowing!