OT -- B/W 16 mm movies

Marvel

No, not THAT kind of movie! We have a medical missionary team/couple who have a son attending the college where I work, and the wife comes in to our office with a 16mm film she wants to look at, to see if it is what the label says it is. She picked some films up at an estate sale, for pennies. Our regular A/V guy wasn't in, so I went over to our library and threaded up the projector for her. She was afraid to do it, as most don't even know how they work anyway.

Turn it on and it is live concert footage of the Beatles, from the mid sixties. There is no indicaton where this is filmed, but it was done with more than one camera and edited pretty well. Optical sound track, so the audio is not very good. I asked her what she wanted for it and she was going to put it on ebay. She is thinking she may get $500. I'm thinking it could go for a lot more. Pretty neat to watch, maybe 15-20 minutes long, and in reasonable shape.

Bruce

No, not THAT kind of movie! We have a medical missionary team/couple who have a son attending the college where I work, and the wife comes in to our office with a 16mm film she wants to look at, to see if it is what the label says it is. She picked some films up at an estate sale, for pennies. Our regular A/V guy wasn't in, so I went over to our library and threaded up the projector for her. She was afraid to do it, as most don't even know how they work anyway.

Turn it on and it is live concert footage of the Beatles, from the mid sixties. There is no indicaton where this is filmed, but it was done with more than one camera and edited pretty well. Optical sound track, so the audio is not very good. I asked her what she wanted for it and she was going to put it on ebay. She is thinking she may get $500. I'm thinking it could go for a lot more. Pretty neat to watch, maybe 15-20 minutes long, and in reasonable shape.

Bruce

Are you serious, $500. for that, or more, unbelievable. Be careful that Sir Paul doesn't find out, he will sue her for selling that. Any man who would go to court to change song writing from Lennon/McCartney to read McCartney/Lennon after George died, because George won't allow it, is capable of anything.

It doesn't look like a home brew movie. The quality it too good. We didn't watch it all the way to the end, so there may actually be some credits or titles on the tail end.

Sorry, but for the most part, Paul is okay in my book. Plus, he is still able to rock when he wants to.

Be VERY CAREFUL with that. Old celluloid gets very brittle. It could have crumbled in your hands on the first pass.

I'd look to have someone knowledgeable transfer to digital first. Then restoration can presume. Then possibly look to sell the original tape.

Michael

Michael,

By the time this was made, they weren't using celluloid. Acetate maybe, but I used to work in film. It was very tough. I checked the leader before I threaded this up. It was fine. I certainly don't think this was the original. There were no splices in it, so a print had definately been made. Depending on when the print was made, it could even be polyester. That stuff is tough.

Yeah, if I owned it I would be making a film to digital transfer right off the bat. I priced that recenly though, and it ain't cheap. I have an 11 minute film that my wife and I made when she took a film class around '73-74. It had a soundtrack that ran separate with it, which has ben lost, but there is no dialogue. We were just going to re-create the audio on the pc for it and put it on a DVD. Especially since our daughter went and got her film degree. She has never seen the film her mom did. I think the transfer from a reputable place (I contacted many) was about $125.

It still hasn't gotten done.

Bruce