How much would you pay for this speaker?

sheltie dave

I had a home-built version of a Paragon for a while, with all the proper components. The response was pretty ragged. The speaker itself is a dominating room presence - much more so than Klipschorns, and has a definite funky "House of Denmark" look to it. The stereo image was pretty impressive - it was like walking around a stage. The Cornwalls have better bass though - the folded horns aren't all that long and they don't have the corners to help them.

The Paragon is rather dated sonically and tremendously big, heavy and fragile. It will also go loud enough to knock over a wall of linebackers. This particular one is in very nice shape - for some reason these things tend to be magnets for people who want to put leaky flowerpots on them, and I don't recall much of that.

Bear in mind, the auction house tacks on a buyers' premium of fifteen percent plus a 6.75% sales tax - so your $8,000 bid is really a $9,740 bid. Don't want you to be surprised.

They do take absentee and telephone bids. After the auction you have two days to get it off the premises, or they'll start assesing storage fees.

the folded horns aren't all that long and they don't have the corners to help them.

And not even sitting on the floor for at least that magnification of the bass horn lens. I once heard a Metrogon (junior version of the Paragon), thought its sound was very dry, uneven, and not appealing next to K-horns.

I still remember the two hours or so that I spent listening to the Paragon--must have been in the early 90's. All I heard was chamber music and some jazz (Bill Evans trio stuff and the Bill Evans/Tony Bennett record if I remember right). Anyway, it sounded fantastic being driven by the Marantz stuff. I think the turntable was one of those Denon models with the wooden base--don't remember exactly as it was a long time ago.

I'd love to have one--at least for a little while!!!