"BR" Refinishing; Help Needed

Finally obtained a pair of La Scala's; "BR"; bought my 2 gallons of #40 black laquer, laquer thinner, steel wool, assorted sandpaper, orbital sander, etc. Have three pairs of BR Heresy's layed out, drivers removed, etc. Only thing left to do is prep tha La Scala's...

The La Scala's were not stained, they were "shellacked". Question, how do you safely remove this gloss finish?

Sand? strip? Trade someone for a set of BB's....

Thanks for any assistance; K'horns and the other Heresy's are all BB finish and wife says make them look the same or get rid of them... Oh the horror...

Marshall Muros - ocsosheriff1@okeechobee.com

863-357-1600 (6:00 AM to 2:00 PM EST) or 863-634-7038 (24/7)

Fast turning into the "Cracker Cowboy Klipsch Ranch" down in these here parts... K'Horns (the "bull"), LaScala's (the "heifer"), 5 x pairs of Heresy's (the herd....)

If you need to remove shellac, you can do it with alcohol and 400 grit sand paper. But you really don't need to remove it if it is sound. Just sand so that the new finish will adhere to the old one. You don't have to worry about the shellac failing under the new finish. Shellac is sometimes used to seal old finishes that tend to blead before refinishing with whatever top coat you like.

Thanks, I really appreciate the assistance; according to the son of the father who owned them, his dad shellac'd them about 20 years or so ago; I'm thinking that I would be better off with your suggestion about 400 and alcohol; living in Florida with the wild fluctuations in humidity, it would probably be better for me not to take a chance during that first 48 hours after the #40 black. It can go from 85 degrees at 50% humidity to 96 with 100% humidity in 24 hours here (live a few miles north of Lake Okeechobee), plus we're getting close (real close) to hurricane season... I had to buy a big generator to make sure that when the hurricane comes that I can keep the A/C running in the house just to keep out the humidity until Florida Power and Light fixes the poles (no insult to FPL, but they tend to take their sweet time about this....)

if it's shellac and it's in good shape just sand it and use it.

it's commonly used as sealer and you can topcoat it with just about

anything. If you're really doing black lacquer and want it to

look nice you'll have to use something fill the pores of the

wood. if you strip the shellac off you'll have to replace it with

something.

Tom,

Thanks for the advice; I would have removed the shellac and not prepped the wood properly! In this case, I guess the best thing to do is fine sand all over to remove sheen and bring it as close to the wood as possible, then spray the laquer. That leads to the question about the BR's that are simply stained, but with no shellac, laquer, sealer, etc. Should I buy some type of sealer, etc. What did Klipsch do to prep the BR when they make the BB's.

V/R Marshall Muros