HT Newbie

Jaggie

Hey everyone. I'm new to the boards and new to HT setups, but not new to Klipsch products. I'm looking into seting up a killer Home Theater but I honestly don't know much about it. I was hoping to get your suggestions on what to look for. Here's some specs I think I want:

-Strong yet clear satellites

-Powerful sub that can kick when needed or rumble when needed

-Receiver that can hanlde all the speakers as well as digital surround sound decoding

-Appropriate amp

-CD Changer (as large as possible)

-Cables

As well as anything I might have missed. Price, as of now, is no matter. Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

quote:

Originally posted by Jaggie:

Hey everyone. I'm new to the boards and new to HT setups, but not new to Klipsch products. I'm looking into seting up a killer Home Theater but I honestly don't know much about it. I was hoping to get your suggestions on what to look for. Here's some specs I think I want:

-Strong yet clear satellites

-Powerful sub that can kick when needed or rumble when needed

-Receiver that can hanlde all the speakers as well as digital surround sound decoding

-Appropriate amp

-CD Changer (as large as possible)

-Cables

As well as anything I might have missed. Price, as of now, is no matter. Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I'm suggesting going used where you can. I have recently come up with (IMO) a great HT system. The total was roughly $2500. It doesn't seem like it was that much because I've been piecing it together over a month or so. If I had to cough up $2500 all at once it wouldn't happen. Patience is a virtue in creating a decent HT system relatively inexpensively.

As far as creating a "killer HT system" goes ...that depends on who's listening to it whether it's "killer" or not. I think most here would not consider any sytem with quintet satellites in it truly "killer". It might sound great but killer?

Satellites ...I wouldn't get seperate quintets unless you want the full quintet home system. This also comes with the center and KSW10 so your sub needs would be taken care of too. From what I've heard from many people the quintets just don't put out compared to any of the larger klipsch speakers. They are easily lost among your larger front 3 speakers. I almost bought them for my rears but got talked out of it by a member here.

Reciever ...There are a ton of recivers loaded with the most up to date features that (IMO) would power a quintet system very well ...for really cheap money too! I had a kenwood vr 407 recently. I sent it back because it didn't make my cornwalls sound the way I wanted them too. There wasn't enough current to make the bass really thump. It had a bazillion features and got really good reviews on audioreview.com. I think it would do well for a quintet system. It's on clearance now at www.onecall.com

Amp ...I don't think you'd need an additional amp with this setup.

Cables ...I'm using radio shack 12 guage wires and non decript rca cables. Nothing fancy needed IMO.

Changer ...There's a million of em out there. Take your pick.

cwm31.gif

------------------

My system thus far:

1980 Cornwalls (mains)

19?? Heresy II's (rears)

2001 KLF-C7 (center)

2001 KSW15 (Subwoofer)

Onkyo TX-DS787 (reciever)

Kenwood DV402 (DVD)

Sony KV 27V55 (9 year old 27" TV)

If you're set on a satellite/subwoofer setup, I'd consider the Klipsch System 6 with a 12" sub. But with "price as no matter," it's really hard to give any kind of recommendation. I think it will be more meaningful if you designated a budget, since otherwise you'll get suggestions for everything from $300 receivers to $20,000 Krell's... Smile.gif

DD2

Well I didn't set a budget because I am not buying the system soon and I really don't know much about putting a HT system together so I wanted to see what I would need. It doesn't matter to me how it is setup, I just want a system that has a jigh level of clarity, strong bass and will last. For a ballpark budget, maybe nothing over $5000 or $6000.