ksw 12 problem?

angrymaxx

I recently purchased my the Klipsch Synergy Six system and decided to upgrade the surrounds to the SS1s and the sub to the ksw 12. I am running a Denon AVR 1802 and have the ksw 12 hooked up to the preouts with RCA cables. When I play music and crank up the bass on the receiver and the sub, I'm disappointed because it doesnt even come close to my old Promedia v2-400s. Any suggestions?

I have the sub set to yes

I have the fronts set to large because the manual said sub settings are only valid when fronts are set to large.

The sub out on the Denon is connected to both the line-in inputs.

It may be that they sound as they should but I'm suprised they dont hit harder. I thought if the promedia v2-400s can hammer out bass (2 x 6.5s) that a 12" sub made for home theater would be able to surpass that.. I may be wrong though..

Hmm, not sure about the sub settings only working when fronts are set to large. But anyway...humor me Smile.gif

With the settings as you have them, I believe the only bass your sub is going to see is that contained in the surrounds (and the center if you have it set to small). There usually isn't a lot of bass in those channels. My suggestion would be to set all speakers to small, including the fronts. That way, all bass below 80hz from all channels will be sent to the sub. I think you'll notice a big difference.

Please let us know the outcome!

DD2

------------------

Denon AVR-3300

Acurus A200x3

NAD 7155 Receiver Pioneer PD-F19 CD Changer

Sony CDP-C8ESD CD Changer

Denon 3000 DVD

Toshiba M784 VCR

B&O Beogram 1800 TT

Klipsch Chorus

Klipsch KV-3 Center

Klipsch SS-1 Surround

Klipsch KG4

Klipsch KG3

Klipsch Forte (2pr)

Velodyne CT120 Sub

Sony KP-43T75 RPTV

Monster HTS2000

AudioQuest Copperhead Interconnects

AudioQuest Slate Speaker Wire

Various other interconnects/cables

Two other suggestions....

1.) Be sure the KSW frequency know is set to 120Hz...you could be choping off most of the signal if not.

2.) Run the test tones and get a SPL meter from Radio Shack. After setup, my volume knob was set at 8 on the KSW-12 and the channel was boosted by +5 dB to get the same dB as my Ref 3's

This setup made a HUGE difference on my impressions of the output of the KSW-12 (go figure...)

-DrPyro

------------------

Receiver: Denon AVR-3801

DVD: Denon DVD-1000

Front: RF-3's

Rear: RS-3's

Center: RC-3

SubW: KSW-12

DougDrake - thanks for your help.. that seemed to do it.

DrPyro - turning up the frequency response on the subwoofer so it filtered less worked as well.

the sub now kicks out all the bass i was hoping for and i just spent a couple of hours going through certain scenes from some of my favorite movies.

thanks for all of your help