New Receiver purchase soon

sire

I have been looking at purchasing a new receiver in the near future. Currently have an HK avr 520 but would like to upgrade.

Been debating between Sunfire and B & K.

Anyone do a comparison in listening betweek the two receivers? No room for separates so it will have to be a receiver.

Any owners of either receiver on the board?

Mike

Sire,

Look at Yamaha RX-V657 or the newer 659.  Great reviews and very good price wise.

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/receivers/RXV659.htm

As much as i like Yamaha these models just don't compare to the offerings from B&K and Sunfire. In the Yamaha line he should look at the RX-V4600 and the RX-Z9. He should also look at the offerings from Rotel and Arcam in his price range.

Firs lets move some things out of the way,Yamaha does not compare too well with the Sunfire Ultimate or B&K receivers. They will have more inputs and outs and plenty of tastlessacoustic modes.These modes are never used by anyone with serious gear.As they add unnatural COLORATIONS.

Now with Klipsch speakers the ideal match is a smooth sounding amp,and here the SUnfire Ultimate will yeld the best results. WIth my RF7's I tried the Ultimate for four weeks at home,simply lets say it was damn close and in some cases as close as it get to a separates.And not just any separates,the Cinema Grand and Theater Grand combination!

With music its a delight,you will hear the gains is smothness and the edge will be gone.Non fatiguing sound anybody can enjoy.I would go so far as to say the Ultimate is the ultimate receiver to go with Klipsch speakers. It is expensive as far as receivers go buy simply a class above,its amp section is as good as it gets.

The second choice would be the B&K. Its slightly better built,and has a very high quality amp section.Again the difference maker here.As it sounds better than even the big Denon receivers.

In third I would have the Pioneer Elite top of the line receiver with room correction and the top of the line Yamaha.

Since you want to upgrade and asked about the two brands,I would go Sunfire Ultimate.Beforte you will need to upgrade again you will ahve to go with separates from Krell.Classe or SimAudio to hear another solid gain in quality! The Ultimate is that good.

Huge differences in costs of the units suggested here.

What is the budget for this receiver? That would help immensely. Also room size, speaker selection, listening choices, features needed.

Some people like DSP modes, 2 zones, etc. Some like pure power with no tone controls whatsoever. Please describe your other requirements and perhaps we can help better.

Michael