Bookshelf speakers to go with SVS PB12

Lakesidex

Hello all,

I am looking for a pair of bookshelf speakers and a center to go along with a SVS PB12 sub. Right now I have 4 promedia sats attached to an Onkyo 513 receiver with the PB12. I think this setup lacks any type of mids or warmth.

I started out looking by looking at the SB-1, SB-2 and SB-3 Sysnergy's. After reading this forum, it seems a better choice may be some used RB-25's or RB-35's. The RB-75's are out of my price range. My question is, what size bookshelf speaker will match nicely with the PB12?

Is it better to go bigger to get a nice balance. Or because of the sub's size will smaller bookshelf's work just as well.

I don't want to by something that would be a bad match. Any advise is greatly appreciated.

The setup will be 80/20 HT/music.

Thanks,

Keith

I would recommend getting RB-35s. The smaller 25 series can barely keep up with the PB12s. I have it's brother(12/V) which my RC-3IIs(6 or 6.5" woofer. same size as Ref 25 series) center are too small to reproduce the mid to keep up with the rest and RF-3IIs(8" woofer) are barely able to keep up with it.

Go for the front and middle first. If you watch movie that much, invest most on the center [;)]

Lakesidex:

What center are you going to go with? For HT, the center is probably the most important speaker. For music, not so much. Since your setup is 80/20 for HT, I would opt for the biggest center you could afford. A RB35, RC7, RB35 front would be outstanding.

If my setup was primarily for HT and my choices for a front were 1) RB35, RC7, RB35 or 2) RB75, RC35, RB75 -

No contest: Option #1.

Sure the RB75s give you a better horn (vs. RB35s). But, the RC7 is a much better center than the RC35 (or the RC3II).

Carl.

cjgeraci is not online. Last active: 05-15-2006, 5:36 PM Thanks cjgeraci,

Sounds like good info to me. Very interesting.

If I could, I would love to get the RB75's with the RC7 center. I would never have thought of that combination since it is not on the Klipsch matching products list and I would have been afraid of the timbre differences(I am new to all this).

So now I am leaning towards the the RB35/RC7 combo. I bet it will sound great! This way, in the future if I'm ever able to grab the RB75's, I will already have the center to match.

If I really can't swing the RC7, I will settle for the RC35/RB35's and cross my fingers. It's got to sound better than what I have now! And just think, when I started my research I was convinced I needed the SB-3's......so it seems that I have already upgraded to the Reference Series without spending any money :)

Thanks for all the help,

All ideas are welcome!

Keith

Or try RB-5IIs with RC-7? Grab a second hand RB-5IIs for cheap and I believe their price will be just similar to a RB-35s. I had my pair for $500 and they are comparable to RF-3IIs in various area(better in some, worse in some) [;)]

You will need around $400 for RB-35s anyway and I believe the RB-5IIs can go lower than $500 nowadays

Vince has a good suggestion as far as a workable alternative with RB5s - that may be more cost efficient. The RB5s used the horn/tweeter from the prior generation (RF3, RC3), and to my ears were a fairly close match timbre-wise to the generation that replaced them. (RB35, RC35). The only caveat is that with RB5s, they are rear ported (vs. front ported with the RB35s) - if that is an issue.

BTW, my love of a RC7 as a center comes from experience - having owned a RC3II, a RC35, a RC7, a KLF-C7, and now a center Belle. The RC35 is still a nice center that often does not get its just due. But the RC7 is another story altogether.....

Good luck.

Carl.

P.S. BTW, kudos on the SVS. In my HT setup (secondary system), I have a SVS 20-39PCi. My main music system has a SVS PB2isd.

Just chiming in ...I would stretch the budget and acomodate the RC7,its worth every dime.Clearly this center channel has the goods and its tweeter alone worth the extra expense.

Plus talking about keeping up,it can with RF7's(front and back) and a trio of RSW subs I use.

Also a good ption to the RB75 is the RB5,perfect visual match for the RC7 and will kore than satisfy until you get RB75's later,moving the RB5's to sourround duty.

Well then the RC7 it is. I will make sure to get this one first. To be honest, I probably never heard something this good and plan on enjoying this set of speakers for a long time.

I will keep my eyes open for a good set of bookshelf's; either the RB35 - if I find an offer I can't refuse, or more likely search out some RB5 or 5II's. May take me some time but at least I got a hit list.

Thanks again for helping narrow my choices.

Just saw it now.

Am I reading it right when it says "RB-35s @ $275 and RB-25s @ $350/pr"?

I would think that the 35's would be more expensive than the 25's. Am I mixed up ? The RB-35's at $275 sound like a good deal to me - especially if they are black :)

I wonder what shipping would cost to CT?

Thanks for the lead.

Been busy on ebay the last few days.

I'm now the proud owner of a so-called new-in-box RC-7. I also won a pair of RB-35's refurbed from Klipcsh. Really wanted the RB-75's but just could not wait for the right deal....but someday : )

thanks again and yipee!

• 3 weeks later...

After a couple of good weeks of listening to the RB35's and RC7 with the SVS PB12, I have to say that I am blown away. In my initial test I set everything to small and varried the crossover on the receiver, setting it between 80hz-120hz. Then I demo'd a bunch of music. But when I cranked the volume on Led Zep's "No Quater" my jaw dropped. Now I hear that one base note over and over in my head. Have not watched a movie with a real good sound track yet but soon :)

I also fooled around with the "large" speaker settings and the "PLII Music" setting to force as much base as I could out of the RC7 center; man that thing really thumped! I think this setting sounded the best for music but I also think it is because my sub needs to be positioned better. My biggest problem at the moment is speaker/sub placement. Once I find the best places for the speakers and sub, then I will revisit the large/small/crossover settings.

So now I can really say that I am a happy Klipsch owner. Still can't help wondering how the RB75's would have sounded.

Thanks again to all who took the time to help shape my decisions!