Forte 1 and inductor resistance

A question about tweeter outout levels and what affects them.......

I just replaced just the tweeter inductors, on my Forte 1's with some North Creek 14 gauge .16 hm inductors (very low .08 ohm but stock value). The sound is smoother and less grainy, but somehow less dynamic.

My question:

all things being equal, what effect does dropping the resistance of a tweeter inductor have on the response of the driver? Does a horn tweeter need a moderate amount of resistance to prevent ringing, etc.

I know I can replace everything, but I'd like to keep the stock values...........Thanks anyone.

-Bryan

since no replies yet..here is a thought...reading your post...tweeter inductors...I don't have a schmatic of the forte xover...but typically any inductors in the tweeter section of an xover is used as a shunt to roll-off program below the tweeter xover frequency away from the tweeter or as part of a band-pass notch filter. In both cases the inductor is not in the direct path of the signal going to the tweeter. Something to look into is the size (did it get bigger and now is closer to it's magnetic neighboors) and placement of the new inductor (90 degrees from nearest inductor...height is an issue some times...did you use an iron screw to install it...did the old inductor have an iron screw that you did not re-use).

I remember years ago replacing all the iron core inductors on a stock xovers with air core ones of the same value....the new arrangment kept clipping the amp and kicking off the amp protection circut...decided to put everything back and problem and amp behaved fine.

So after leaving the inductors alone..decide to just replace the caps with better ones...and replace inductors in the signal path of the woofer and midrange driver and leave all the shunt inductors alone.

With out test equipment..it is really difficult to go down this path, unless someone puts together some parts that they ran thru a vaildation process.

Brian,

Upgrading the inductors is usually a big step forward. Inductors have far more loss than caps of equal quality (as much as 100 times!). Lossy components round off the passband of a filter causing, in the case of a tweeter filter, reduced highs just above the crossover frequency. The best inductors to use for tweeter filters are those wound of "Litz" wire. BTW: Don't think for a minute that because an inductors is connected from the signal path to ground it is not "IN" the signal path. It definitly is!

AL K.

Glad to see someone working with the Forte's, they are in my opinion the most underrated Klipsch. I have been considering crossover upgrades, but locating the crossover outside the cabinet to allow use of the erse inductors from partsexpress and an air core unit for the tweeter. Please let me know if you find something that works well.

I agree with you the Forte's are very underrated I discovered their capabilities by accident when I needed an efficient speaker for a single-ended 572-10 10 watt tube amp that I designed I decided to mod the crossover after hearing AL K's crossover built by a friend of mine for his La Scala's which blew me away this friend of mine made his out board on plexiglass and they are great looking as well as fantastic sounding, I decided to build mine outboard as well only all parts can be changed within a few minutes allowing me to audition all kinds of inductors and caps, If I want I can even Tri-amp the project took awhile but has proven very worth while.

Depending on your needs and mine are always high as my amplifiers have very high resolving power and very high dynamics much more so than most flea power amps and I use no preamp as well, parts quality as Al has said are very audiable I would say that my improvement is equal to a loudspeaker in the 5000$ plus range and I'm looking forward to further mods.

Here is a picture of them as I was starting construction the parts layout actually are a little different in the final layout

10001961ea.jpg

SET12

• 2 weeks later...