Klipschorn Style Bass Horns

For you Forum Member DIYer's I've got some K-Horn Bass Horns for sale. They are made from 1/2" MPF glued and nailed. The joints are sealed with 50 year rated silicone. The Bass Horns shown in the pictures were built for a Forum Member in Cleveland. On his advice, I am no longer including the 3/4" removable motorboard shown in the pictures. It turns out that the bass performance is enhanced by mounting the Woofer directly to the front panel. Thanks for that John! The price is $800.00 a pair, plus shipping.

post-15074-1381929819147_thumb.jpg

these look like their modeled after the speakerlab k's based on the vertical peice that connects the point of the woofer chamber to the rear panel that sits in the corner.

another implementation is to mount the peice that connects the point of the woofer chamber horizontally (this requires the three pieces to be assembled as one unit).

6 of one, half a dozen of the other as to which sounds better.

For you Forum Member DIYer's I've got some K-Horn Bass Horns for sale. They are made from 1/2" MPF glued and nailed. The joints are sealed with 50 year rated silicone. The Bass Horns shown in the pictures were built for a Forum Member in Cleveland. On his advice, I am no longer including the 3/4" removable motorboard shown in the pictures. It turns out that the bass performance is enhanced by mounting the Woofer directly to the front panel. Thanks for that John! The price is $800.00 a pair, plus shipping.

Just wondering, what is MPF?

Seems a shame to go to all that trouble and then not complete them. What happened?

Yes, it's MDF. I guess I'll have to fire the typist. It is not particle board. It is a very dense absolutly void free material witch makes it perfect for speaker building. I've built several sets of these now and they perform great. The pictures are just some random shots during constuction. These units are the perfect starting point for the DIYer who wants to build hybrid K-Horns at a fraction of the cost of buying new. My speakers at home use these bass horns with Altec 511 horns and 902 drivers,Beyma tweeters,ALK networks and K-33s from Bob Crites.

Due to the cost of shipping....have you ever thought about selling the cut lay out unassembled. most of the shipping cost is based on bulk, not weight, if you could reduce the foot print, shipping would be cheaper.

example...shipping empty lascala boxes a few states away cost me 190 bucks. shipping the lascala boxes back with the lascalas in them cost me 270 bucks. just 80 bucks higher than the empty boxes.

your cabs would be bulkier to ship using the H+W+L rule and would cost more. than the 290 I spent. the 800 starting price, plus the shipping, could set someone back 1100 bucks. 125 for k-77's, 150 for k-55's, 150 for aa networks, 150 for k-33's, and your at 1675 still needing grills, finishing work, etc.

If you ever go the re-assembled route...do a market test with unassembled birchplywood as well as the MDF stuff.

MDF, while pretty good for sound cabs, is pretty brittle from a shipping perspective.

Since I've seen on ebay bass bins with all drivers, all horns, xovers, and the start of grills sell for 600 bucks....i'm thinking if you can get pricing done to less than 300 bucks for unassembled bass bins, there might be a market composed of folks who have bought lascalas cheap (cabs in disasterous condition) and want a new home for their drivers.

also, early k-horns used 12 inch drivers...so if you included an adapter plate for the 12inch k-22, some hersey owners might be part of the market, all they would need besides their hearseys, is a set of k-400 horns, a set of 13up caps, 2 tweeter shunt inductors, a little rewiring...and they could be K-horning pretty cheap.

MDF, while pretty good for sound cabs, is pretty brittle from a shipping perspective.

Concur. Wood is the way to go for shipable (is that a word?) product. I'll go one step further with this idea......

Start a custom building business. The cabinetry is a knockout. Offer to build cabinets of any wood, for any horn/woofer combo. The only difference in dimensions would be the cut-outs for the horns and whether the motor board accepts a 12" or 15" woofer. Hell, you can sell them both, in case they want to change. You ship them the kit and they cut out the openings for the horns, assemble the parts, load the drivers and crossovers, and do the final finishing.

For an extra fee, they could send you the components and you'd assemble and finish the cabinets. You, of course, accept no liability for the appropriateness of the customer's components. So the kit way might be less potential hassle from folks who have less-than-perfect design credentials. LOL

I've toyed with the idea of shipping kits. I think that dealing with problems with buyers who run into assembly issues would be too much to keep up with. I'd just as soon send assembled units. I just shipped a pair to a Forum member in Clleveland using FedEx frieght for 200.00.

so we are ball parking 1000 bucks for empty lower bins.

fyi, I think that the utility versions are called model c's. these are the bass bins, klipsch labels, designed for cutom installs. these show up on ebay frequently with some parts and sell in the 600 range a pair. seen them as low as 150 each. also electro-voice kd-2 are modeled after klipsch lower bins, as are the patrician IV cabs....frequent ebay items.

If Amy or anyone else at Klipsch sees this, I have a question.....

Does Klipsch sell empty K-Horn cabinets?

I'm not asking about finished cabinets, just plain birch. Maybe even just the bottom part.

I purchased four empty University S-9 cabinets, over 30 years ago, no problem. They were beautifully constructed and could have been stained and finished as furniture. Made it easy to replace beat-up cabinets, without having to build them.

Also, I remember a club that had 8 K-Horns; 2 in each corner, with the bass horns stacked and the mid-tweets stacked on top of those. Sort of how I stack my LSI's. Made me think that the K-Horn was modular. This was around 1977-78. Did Klipsch ever make the K-Horn in a modular config? Or did someone have fun with a sawzall?