Am I did something wrong or... this is the way this Sub is?

FuzzyNY

I just set up a HT system with the M&K MK350, I set

1)all the speakes are set to small

2)set the correct delay time

3)selected bass output: subwoofer only

4)did the phase setting

5) did the channel level setup

6)Xover @ 100HZ at the backpanel of the sub

7)put 4 spikes at the bottom of the sub

my first question is, when I set all the channels to the same refrence level(75db), the sound of the sub(75db) seems.. small and weak, should I set the sub louder than other channels?

and aslo, in movie, the sub seems doing good except... I expect a little more punchy when the rocket hit the beach in Saving Private Ryan but the sound in very rumbering and just little punchy..... is this the way a good sub should be?.. more rumbleing but less punchy?

in music, I have to turn the sub volume all the way up to 8+db to get the decent bass.. however, the Sub is lound .. very lound.. but again the sound is just a little bit to boomy and it's not really punching my heart enough..

thanks for any info/advices

Fuzz

------------------

Denon 3300

Klipsch RF-3II

Klipsch RC-3II

Klipsch Quintets surround

M&K MX-350 THX sub

Toshbia 6200 DVD player

Yamaha CDC-675 Changer

Toshbia 43HX70 HDTV

I prefer my sub level to be higher than my mains. At least 90db for HT. But if I listened to movies at reference level, I would have to turn the sub down a bit. I don't do that, so....

For more punch, dial down your crossover, and pull the sub away from the wall. This will reduce muddy rumble without detail.

T-man

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KG 2.2v (center)

KLF-C7 (center in storage)

KG 1 (rears)

KSW-12 (sub)

Denon AVR 681/1601

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Kenwood LVD700 LD

Sony CD changer

Sony 27" Trinitron

Sony PLX I

Fuzz,

The M&K 350 sub is a very punchy and tight(defined)sub.I tried one at home several months ago.The sub gain should be set to 8/10.Next set the crossover high on the sub around 100Hz(the Denon will direct the lows to the sub).Next adjust your speakers level,this done now play some music with plenty of bass and go from -12dB in the Denon menu slowly towars 0.You should find a point where the sub gives you planty of bass.

If it fails then the sub may not be positioned as it should.Position the sub along a wall.Change the sub position and try again.I suspect a bass hole where you may sit now.Since the M&K 350 is a very powerful sub,planty of bass even for larger rooms,as long as you dont demand true pipe organs full scale(down to 16Hz).

Try to reposition the sub

Hope it helps

TheEAR(s) Now theears