dynaco st-70 or OTL opinion

Guest " "

First of all, I have no idea how what this has to do with Dynaco ST-70 amps and I apologize to speakerfritz for hijacking his thread. Erik, I originally bought a Oris 200 kit as I read that its cut-off (200Hz) and dispersion was a better match for the Khorn bass bin. As it happened, a friend was building a Prometheus (Open-Baffle) kit and suggested that I use his Oris 150's as a trial until he decide which speaker he liked best. It took all of 10 minutes to remove the Khorns' mid/tweeter section and install the 150's. I was using a pr of 45 monos at the time and the difference in sound was revelatory. The Oris's extra efficiency suited the 45 amps really well and the improvement was across the board in my opinion. Clarity, extension, coherence, image all come to mind but then, there had to be significant improvement to justify the extra cost of the horns and drivers. As it turned out, my friend ended up with Tannoy coaxials driven by Hypex amps and no longer needed the horns so he offered to sell me his Oris' setup at a very good price. Being the lazy person I am, I bought the 150's and the Oris 200's are still in the box. I did have to close in the bass bins by adding a top and bottom to the existing false corners) but that made a big improvement as well and I am delighted with the result so far. "I wanted to use the bass bin with the Oris and my PM2A drivers. I told my wife I was planning to very carefully remove the top section of the LSs (by way of my circular saw), and then mount the Oris/2A combo on top of that." I think you can easily try the Oris setup without permanently damaging your LaScalas. I've seen plenty of folks coupling Oris' with the LS with great results and without alterning the cabinets. I'm not even sure that they went to the trouble of removing the K-33s. The Oris horns may actually benefit from the extra height. You can either mount the new horns on top, overlapping the K-33 or remove the K-33, flip the cabinets over and add ports in the new space.... Have fun, Bryan

I got some pretty good leads on my intial question...so hi-jack away

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bryan,

Is that the bass mod that Dennis has posted? If not, what is different about it, etc.? Those cabinets look really nice, and I like the Oris horns as well.

Bruce

Bruce,

Thanks. I'm not sure what mod was discussed or posted but all I did was close off the top and bottom of the existing false corners I had built. I didn't really have a choice once I removed the mid/tweeter horn section from the bass bin. The bass bin needed the top to complete the horn and I had always wanted to close off the bottom because the Khorn was on carpet.

The braces are used to attach the bass bin to the shell. One end is screwed into the shell and the other end is secured using the same bolts and wing nuts that were used to attach the old grills.

Have fun -Bryan

post-3360-13819298554412_thumb.jpg

Sorry Bruce, I didn't realize which modification you were referring to or what mods Dennis had suggested. I'm not even sure which Dennis you're talking about but I would like to read through these mods. Are they posted in this Forum?

-Bryan

First of all, I have no idea how what this has to do with Dynaco ST-70 amps and I apologize to speakerfritz for hijacking his thread.

Erik,

I originally bought a Oris 200 kit as I read that its cut-off (200Hz) and dispersion was a better match for the Khorn bass bin. As it happened, a friend was building a Prometheus (Open-Baffle) kit and suggested that I use his Oris 150's as a trial until he decide which speaker he liked best. It took all of 10 minutes to remove the Khorns' mid/tweeter section and install the 150's. I was using a pr of 45 monos at the time and the difference in sound was revelatory. The Oris's extra efficiency suited the 45 amps really well and the improvement was across the board in my opinion. Clarity, extension, coherence, image all come to mind but then, there had to be significant improvement to justify the extra cost of the horns and drivers. As it turned out, my friend ended up with Tannoy coaxials driven by Hypex amps and no longer needed the horns so he offered to sell me his Oris' setup at a very good price. Being the lazy person I am, I bought the 150's and the Oris 200's are still in the box. I did have to close in the bass bins by adding a top and bottom to the existing false corners) but that made a big improvement as well and I am delighted with the result so far.

"I wanted to use the bass bin with the Oris and my PM2A drivers. I told my wife I was planning to very carefully remove the top section of the LSs (by way of my circular saw), and then mount the Oris/2A combo on top of that."

I think you can easily try the Oris setup without permanently damaging your LaScalas. I've seen plenty of folks coupling Oris' with the LS with great results and without alterning the cabinets. I'm not even sure that they went to the trouble of removing the K-33s. The Oris horns may actually benefit from the extra height. You can either mount the new horns on top, overlapping the K-33 or remove the K-33, flip the cabinets over and add ports in the new space....

Have fun, Bryan

are these lascala bins made from the 10 inch plans?

Hey People!

I don't mind at all getting this back on the amp track for Speakerfritz!

how about two of these! Wavac 833

picof8330no.jpg

In the night!

wavac833lit7fr.jpg

Here I am with an 833 in hand fed from my car battery and a .25 ohm in series for a 10 amp flow for the filament!

meand8338zi.png

If anyone would like to see more! come vist my thread on

NEWAS forum at

http://newaudiosociety.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=amp;action=display;num=1137773606

• 1 year later...