RT12D?

swampwiz

Guest BobG

Interesting conclusion given that this product has not yet seen the light of day. To suggest that a sub is either great, or not great based upon its inclusion or lack of servo control is an over simplified analysis. Same as pronouncing all sealed enclosure designs as superior or inferior.

As someone smarter than I said: the proof is in the pudding. When we ship, we will put the product on the web site. When dealers receive first shipments, I expect to see their early reviews followed by those of you all who get a chance to audition the RT models.

If I remember correctly, the servo control is simply an accellerometer placed on the piston of the driver. It constantly monitors the G forces the driver is moving at and a microchip compares that information to the original signal and makes minute adjustments to the amplifier's output to keep the driver as accurate as possible.

I remember the first servo controlled sub in the car audio market by Infinity in the 90's. When I heard of it all I could think of was a mechanical servo-controled arm flapping a quasi-conical structure back and forth. :)

People ooo'd and aaah'd about it. I don't think even the salepeople understood it as they just kept touting it's output. When I finally found out it was "driven" by a servo-controled signal I wasn't impressed anymore. Cool...of course. Needed in car audio? Probably not.

Ok, thanks for the explanation. Now it adds more weight to the driver

Do you even know the whole load of the monitoring device placed on the voice coil(or near it)has zero audible effect. We are talking a few,very few grams. The loss of "speed" will not even be heard by audiophools who hear things that are not half audible!

I remember the first servo controlled sub in the car audio market by Infinity in the 90's. When I heard of it all I could think of was a mechanical servo-controled arm flapping a quasi-conical structure back and forth. :)

People ooo'd and aaah'd about it. I don't think even the salepeople understood it as they just kept touting it's output. When I finally found out it was "driven" by a servo-controled signal I wasn't impressed anymore. Cool...of course. Needed in car audio? Probably not.

Yes very needed! The half deaf pizza faced youngsters think they impress the girls,when loud BOUM BOUM music blasts at 120 plus dB.