Joni Mitchell - Blue

Steve_L

What Miles Davis' Kinda' Blue is to Jazz, Joni Mitchell's Blue is to classic folk of the 70's.

AMG's allmusic site (which I use quite a bit www.allmusic.com) starts the Joni Mitchell overview with this statement. "When the dust settles, Joni Mitchell may stand as the most important and influential female recording artist of the late 20th century." That's gotta tell you something.

I was 21 for the most part of 1971, deeply in love with my soon to be 1st wife (no jokes guys), confused and concerned about the war in Vietnam, waiting for my draft papers and hangin' out in college. Priorities included fast motorcycles, sex, drugs and rock and roll. What else?

When this album came out Joni was already a household name for her "Put up a parking lot." (Big Yellow Taxi), Woodstock, Morning Morgantown, Both Sides Now, and Chelsea. A gorgeous, hot blonde from Alberta Canada. She was singing the heart and soul of the young, in love and confused in North America. She was the background music of every coffee house and cafe in every hip underground tavern, college coffee shop, bookstore and underground FM radio station in the nation. They loved her in the London and Paris everybit as much. How could you not?

Her lyrics were auto-biographical, confessional, personal, sensual and at the same time, universal. Poetry, jazz, smoky cafes, love all rolled into one sweet smooth dusky powerful sexy female voice that begged first for your attention and then for your love.

"I wish I had a river I could skate away on.... I made my baby say good-bye.. I wish I had a river I could skate away on." ..."Lord he loved me so naughty, made me weak in the knees." River

"Oh I could drink a case of you and I would still be on my feet." A Case of You

"Oh starlight, starbright, you've got the lovin' that I like" This Flight Tonight

"Alive, alive I want to get up and jive. I want to wreck my stockings in some jukebox dive." All I Want

Stephen Stills on guitar on Carey, James Taylor on guitar on a few others.. Joni on accoustic guitar and piano.. it's mainly a piano and accoustic guitar recording. What else?

On a few refrains in this record you can use Joni's voice as a great test of the flutter, or lack of in your turntable.

Like Stevie Ray used to say "This is the Real Deal", if you want a taste of 1971, turn the lamps down low, nestle with your honey, break open a bottle of your favorite red, and mellow-out to a little bit of the genius that was Joni Mitchell in 1971. It's that good.

f86627v6fj8.jpg

Great review, Steve! And right on all accounts! I was only 12 in 1971, and didn't become a Joni fan until 1978 when I joined the Air Force and got stationed in Germany. Blue is an incredible album! I have it on vinyl and cd, but my vinyl version is in rough shape and I could use another copy of it. I love Court and Spark, but Blue is by far her best!

As a side note I also love Rickie Lee Jones, who you can tell just shaped and molded herself from Joni's singing and songwriting.

Mike

Thanks guys!

I just happen to drag out some of my 12 inchers this morning and I was using the settings on my Pio 1015 to see how it sounded on some of the various settings. Using Dolby Pro Logic IIx and then the "Expanded" mode on the Pioneer just gives my vinyl new life. This spacious open sound.

I know the Klipsch speakers help too. [:D]

Mike, I like Rickie Lee Jones too. ...and I think she does have some "Joni" in her.

I think you have the Last Waltz DVD and Joni does a great rendition of Coyote on that with The Band as her back-up group. I can't say much about what Mitchell is doing these days, but I was absolutely in lust with her back then.

Blue is the only album I've ever had stolen from me. Fortunately it's still availible on CD.

PBS recently did one of their 2 hour "American Masters" retrospective shows on Joni. If you get the chance to see it make sure you don't miss it. I'm sure it will be rebroadcast periodically.

Now, I occasionally recognize Joni's voice on jazz standards when I'm listening to the radio (KCSM.org - if you like jazz - 24/7 commercial free). She's had some recent jazz releases, but I haven't checked them out - yet. Her jazz connection goes back to Charles Mingus who wrote six pieces for her shortly before he died.

Many consider her lyrics to be the best of (north) american poetry.

James

An incredible album. I discovered Blue only 10 years or so ago -- I never was turned on by her radio tunes back when she was huge.

Many of my friends prefer Court and Spark, and I don't understand that! I think they want to hear HITS and they are not really listening to Blue. It sounds like life--

So soulful, beautifully played and subtly produced. Her songs are all resonant--even when Robert Downey Jr, sang the Christmas tune a few years ago on Allie McBeal, the song was the star.

Haven't listened to it in awhile--but I will this weekend--thanks

River, is kind of a Christmas song, I live just south of Vermont, and in the winter I drive Rt5 right up the side of the Connecticut River and it soooooo.... reminds me of that song.

But it really is an album of poetry put to music.