Need some help here....with a logistics issue!!!!

steamer

Great advise guys.

A little update here.I have researched the guys feedback and have corresponded with a few of them thru the Audiogon site.One reply was that he sent the guy a pair of Von Schweikert speakers with no problems,another replyed that he would do buisness with him again.

The potential buyer wants to send me the money via paypal when we determine a final cost In my mind I would immediately transfer the funds to my bank and ship after I see the money.I have a local shipper that is an agent for BAX shipping.I will get more info from him on Monday.

Unless the potential buyer is maskeradeing as several people across secure websites ho looks to be for real.He says he will deal with the logistics of this and only wants me to get info on local shippers.Looks like he has expierience with shipping to China with all the purchases he made on audiogon.

Thanks for all the input,Greg

I don't know how much this guy is paying you, but for the hassle and risk, couldn't you sell to someone locally instead?

This all sounds too much PITA to mess with imho.

M

Cant get any bites locally.I had them sold to my step brother but he decided to get a 50 cal.Marine sniper rifle.If WWlll ever starts I know who I will be with,he cant fire 20+ serious pieces of hardware all at the same time.Guess no one wants to pay $1400 for a near perfect set of Scala's.The potential sale is thru an ad I ran at Audiokarma.

Greg

Don't you wonder deep down why a guy would go to all the expense to ship in used speakers, instead of buying new, to China, without seeing, or hearing them?

LOL,yes I see potential RED flags everywhere.I agree it makes little sense.

Greg

Don't you wonder deep down why a guy would go to all the expense to ship in used speakers, instead of buying new, to China, without seeing, or hearing them?

LOL,yes I see potential RED flags everywhere.I agree it makes little sense.

Greg

Best of Luck no matter what you decide![:|]

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update here in case you want to ship LaScala's to CHINA.

The prospective buyer is mulling over the total price at this time and I cant blame him.

The cost of shipping came out to $350 for packaging and $1250 for air freight.Ocean freight came in at $1405.

He is also searching for possible shipping prices.Shipping will be his responsibility including payment to them seperate from the cost of the speakers.

If he chooses to buy them as per our aggreement I will deliver to any shipper of his choice in my area only after I have payment in my checking account via his transfer to my paypal account.

This will be interesting.

Greg

Just an update here in case you want to ship LaScala's to CHINA.

The prospective buyer is mulling over the total price at this time and I cant blame him.

The cost of shipping came out to $350 for packaging and $1250 for air freight.Ocean freight came in at $1405.

He is also searching for possible shipping prices.Shipping will be his responsibility including payment to them seperate from the cost of the speakers.

If he chooses to buy them as per our aggreement I will deliver to any shipper of his choice in my area only after I have payment in my checking account via his transfer to my paypal account.

This will be interesting.

Greg

recent events on ebay has brought to my attention that a dollar value to us has a different meaning to others in countries where the exchange rate is not in our favor. case in point is 3 sales of a pair of ev st-350 over the last 45 days to folks in the east and france for over 400 bucks a pair. I bought numerous pairs over the last 6 months for less than 50 bucks. it turns out that the exchange rate is such that the 400 us dollars was still a good deal to folks in these countries.

I met a fellow who buys used Harley and British make

motorcycles across America

and ships them by the container load to China.

There is plenty of recently rich over there and they like their toys as much as

we do.

Except everything they sell over there is made in ... well ... China.

Enough said ...

That's why they like stuff they can't normally get.

As someone else said ... DHL ... all the way.

I buy stuff straight out of Japan

and DHL service is amazing. 3 days from Tokyo

to me in Canada.

I can't get delivery out of Toronto

or New York that quick.

I met a fellow who buys used Harley and British make motorcycles across <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 />America and ships them by the container load to China. There is plenty of recently rich over there and they like their toys as much as we do.

Except everything they sell over there is made in ... well ... China. Enough said ...

That's why they like stuff they can't normally get.

As someone else said ... DHL ... all the way.

I buy stuff straight out of Japan and DHL service is amazing. 3 days from Tokyo to me in Canada. I can't get delivery out of Toronto or New York that quick.

You are correct,China has had a booming economy since coming out of thier reccession in 2000'.

The potential buyer is a project manager for a major architecture firm and has spent money on audiogon with good feedback.He knows due to his geographical location its not cheap to ship and like you said the selection of Klipsch LaScala's has to be few and far between in China.

Greg

Doesn,t it raise a flag that a guy in that type of position would buy used speakers, and then deal with the shipping problems, when he could buy new, and let the dealer deal with shipping to him? You think speakers are bad, try selling a Corvette on line, the foreign buyers come out of the wood work with 3 party money orders, scam, scam scam.........

Personally oldbuckster a part of the fun of it is the

scrounging for a good deal and then sourcing it where it is actually made ... not from some importer.

For me ... I buy classic BMW motorcycles. Classic as in at least 25 years old. They sell new ones ... yes ... but

I like the old ones much better.

I buy parts for my motorcycles in the UK

and Germany.

Sometimes having to translate into English ... that part is interesting as I

don't speak a word of German.

I buy new video gear out of Japan.

Sometimes stuff which isn't even sold in North America .... or if it eventually is sold it is sold at a HUGE price.

I have a contact in Japan who sources for a living. If anybody wants to see how it works his address is www.pricejapan.com. Very interesting process really and it works like a Swiss ... er... Japanese watch.

While I am absolutely sure that you are correct ... there are those who as you say

"scam"... I personally havent been taken by one. Yet. They are

usually fairly easy to spot and they seem to like living in Romania

or Nigeria. [;)]

In China for

some crimes if you are caught ... they shoot you dead. I can think of all

sorts of places which are more amenable to criminals than in China.

If you are concerned about selling something to China

tell the guy. He may just send you the money first and let you sit on it

for a few days ... as a gesture of good will.

Or perhaps you could use an

escrow service ... like these guys:

https://www.escrow.com/index.asp

Either way I would be thinking of something I wanted out of China now that you have a good contact.

Maybe a Chineese Rolex ... [:P]

Doesn,t it raise a flag that a guy in that type of position would buy used speakers, and then deal with the shipping problems, when he could buy new, and let the dealer deal with shipping to him? You think speakers are bad, try selling a Corvette on line, the foreign buyers come out of the wood work with 3 party money orders, scam, scam scam.........

Well I dout if I will ever buy new again.New Scala's are $5500 us + shipping=$7000.He is getting these for $4000 less than new plus shipping.They are 2000' vintage with the Al3 crossover and in very good shape especialy for factory black paint.Believe me paint will scratch if you look at it wrong.I understand the scam potential here.

At present he is thinking it over.

Greg

post-15498-13819300765216_thumb.jpg

tychicum; you find nothing wrong with 3 party money orders? That's not the way I do buisness. It's money laundering!

Steamer; they are your speakers do what you want. I wouldn't spend $4000. for a set of used speakers, that's just me. Bye the time you add on shipping, the time to find a shipper, get them crated up, then on top of all of that, you have no Warranty to cover your $4000.+ investment. I would end up buying new. I know your speakers a fine, no issues at all, look at them, I would not hesitate to buy from forum members like yourself. I am not trying to kill your sale, that's not my place, just giving you something to think about, no more, no less. Sometimes the thought of the sale can cloud your judgement, carry on.................................