question for the sub xperts

montigue

I know that their is a lot of SVS fan's here. I also know that their are many that like Sunfires product as well. They both are great subs but if you had your choice to match up with your Klipsch floor speaker's would it be SVS 16-46CS or Sunfires MKII. The MKII is about the same price on ebay as the SVS but has 2700 watts of amplification compared to SVS's Samson's 350 watt amp.

Without bringing the size issue to play, what sub would you pick for sheer peformance for $1000

montigue

Well its not 2700W VS 350W.You see if you read the Sunfire docs well you will see the Sunfire amp outputs about 270W(about 10%),yes the amp is capable of 2.7KW but on even the most demanding material it outputs 270W.

The Sunfire has no equal as a tiny cube,with its two radiating extra long throw surfaces its the output king in the tiny sub land.

The SVS is much larger(internal volume is over 10 times greater)and does not use any heavy EQ like all the tiny cubed subs.The SVS has more output down very low.

The SVS uses a 12" driver and the Sunfire more like an 8".For a 8" the Sunfire has no equal in output.It cannot beat the much larger SVS.

Its now a question DO YOU WANT A VERY COMPACT SUB ot a LARGER ONE.

I know the Mark II can keep up with most speakers at levels you want to listen.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

i dont understand how they say 2700w but your only getting 270wcwm13.gifThis all can be very deceving to the consumer..It's a good thing weve got these kind's of places to go for help.

Thank's AGAIN Ears.. seem's you are the sub Xpert here

Monty AKA montigue

This message has been edited by montigue on 11-06-2001 at 02:41 PM

Colin,

Yes great output at 25Hz is more important then plenty of output up high(in a sub that is).The Sunfires have very solid output even below 25Hz(not the Junior,its a 9" cube for goodness sake).

Boa,

Lots of output below 20Hz,not even the HGS18 can claim this.Lots for me is above 115dB IN ROOM!And a extreme is above 120dB in room(again I would like to hear such sub).Even the SVS Ultras start to lose steam below 20Hz,and at 16Hz its going in a dive.

The HSU Reference sub(over $80000)is probably the best "sub" as far as quality and output is concerned.

A few(4-8)Ultras couldno doubt do the trick.

And how about four Krell MRS subs(not practical because of price,$30K times four and you have 120K OUCH)

All these when used in numbers would no doubt bring sub bass nirvana(to me its over 120Hz in room at 16Hz!).

Montigue,

Dont forget one thing its not only the wattage that counts,is how the watts are transformed into air moving power.The Sunfire does a incredible job for its size(as well as Velodyne HGS and SPL).You have to listen to belive,I did listen and I am a beliver.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Don't worry about an individual component on a subwoofer...look to it's overall performance capability first. If it's not reaching a performance level you expect, then break it down to a component level and find out what the limiting factor is.

Max voltage supplied to the driver is only one thing to consider. Remember the iron law...

TV