AVR Audio/Video (HDMI) Connections

greg0320

Just needing assistance/direction for wiring new Denon 2807 for video and audio. Thought I had it figured out, but discussion with salesman has left me confused.

Will probably need to work around issues with Motorola Cable boxes and HDMI connections with Denon, but ultimately, I would like to be able to watch news on TV without having receiver/sound system turned on.

Salesman was recommending the following:

HDMI from cable box to HDMI on TV.

Optical coax for digital sound from cable box to receiver.

DVD (Toshiba Upconversion Player)

HDMI to Receiver for video

Optical coax for digital sound from DVD to receiver

HDMI from receiver to TV

Didn't mention CD player connections (have Denon 380)

I thought HDMI carried both video and audio. If so, why the need for the optival coax for digital audio?

All input appreciated. Want to buy cables but not sure what to get anymore.

Thanks

Greg

Just needing assistance/direction for wiring new Denon 2807 for video and audio. Thought I had it figured out, but discussion with salesman has left me confused.

Will probably need to work around issues with Motorola Cable boxes and HDMI connections with Denon, but ultimately, I would like to be able to watch news on TV without having receiver/sound system turned on.

Salesman was recommending the following:

HDMI from cable box to HDMI on TV.

Optical coax for digital sound from cable box to receiver.

DVD (Toshiba Upconversion Player)

HDMI to Receiver for video

Optical coax for digital sound from DVD to receiver

HDMI from receiver to TV

Didn't mention CD player connections (have Denon 380)

I thought HDMI carried both video and audio. If so, why the need for the optival coax for digital audio?

All input appreciated. Want to buy cables but not sure what to get anymore.

Thanks

Greg

yes HDMI carries both audio and video...but the optical to the reciever is to decode and deliver surround sound to your surround sound speakers.....unless your TV can do this and has an output it can send to your reciver.

I'd hook the hdmi from box to tv and digital out of box to avr.Thats the way I have mine.The hdmi will carry video and audio but I think the audio is only 2ch until the next version of hdmi comes out.I can watch and hear tv through the hdmi input but for 5.1 you need the digital out to ave/pre/pro.

The hdmi will carry video and audio but I think the audio is only 2ch until the next version of hdmi comes out.I can watch and hear tv through the hdmi input but for 5.1 you need the digital out to ave/pre/pro.

There is a thread of roughly 16 pages on this topic over at www.avsforum.com. Look in the thread titled "Official Denon 2807 Page". They more than beat this topic to death over there. Happy reading.[;)]