Belle placement

jackpod

I recently picked up a pair of belles and wanted to get some advice on best placement in a not so desirable room. The room is 30' X 30'. The Belles sound pretty amazing, I haven't spectrum analyzed the room but there seems to be a hump around 120 - 140hz . I am driving the belles with a McIntosh MC150 along with a Paradigm Reference Servo 15 sub rolled off at about 45hz and 3 pair of Dukane Ionovacs electronically crossed over at 3500hz fed by a Mac240. The belles are fed a full range signal. I replaced the Belle crossovers with Bob Crites AA's. They are currently close to the corners. The "hump" is not noticible all the time but when its there, it is there. I had owned a pair of Ls Scala's 30 years ago but have been away from horn loads a long time

Suggestions welcome

Thanks!

Depends on whether you want to optimize the midrange open-ness and clarity of the squawker, or the upper bass bunch and slam of the bass horn. In my experience with La Scalas, I found that the further I moved them away from room boundries, toed in toward the listening position, the better (open, clear, depth, articulate, natural) the mids sounded, particularly with vocals, at the expense of the (already really limited) bass. Moving them deeper into corners boosted the bass and increase the "slam" factor, but the mids suffered - imaging deteriorated, sound closed in, voices just didn't sound as real.

Ray, Thanks for tips. I moved them in about 4.5ft from the corners and about 2ft from the wall, with about a 6" toe-in, As you said they opened up in the mids, no more mid bass hump. I have a sub which makes up for the low end and then I have Ionovacs on the top which really adds the icing on the cake. A very impressive sounding setup

Jack

I recently picked up a pair of belles and wanted to get some advice on best placement in a not so desirable room. The room is 30' X 30'. The Belles sound pretty amazing, I haven't spectrum analyzed the room but there seems to be a hump around 120 - 140hz .  I am driving the belles with a McIntosh MC150 along with a Paradigm Reference Servo 15 sub rolled off at about 45hz and 3 pair of Dukane Ionovacs electronically crossed over at 3500hz fed by a Mac240. The belles are fed a full range signal. I replaced the Belle crossovers with Bob Crites AA's. They are currently close to the corners. The "hump" is not noticible all the time but when its there, it is there. I had owned a pair of Ls Scala's 30 years ago but have been away from horn loads a long time

Suggestions welcome

Thanks!

I looked at a graph provided by another forum member and found that it also showed a hump closer to 140hz. The hump is about 10db above the average spl from 70hz to 760hz, but only about 6db above any other peak.

Since you know where the hump is....if it really bothers you....a small filter can be added, see the below link about notch filters.

http://www.mhsoft.nl/ParallelNotchFilter.asp

to level off a 140hz bump, using the crossover calculator, f=140, f1=70, f2=760, c=214.5uf, l=5.36mh, r=1.08ohms. Placed as indicated in the schematic the calculator will generate.

if you ask 10 folks what they think, they will probally come up with 10 different recomendations. I personally would leave it alone.

Thanks for the info, For right now I am going to leave it as is, until I get to spend many hours listening, then maybe I will try a tweak or two if i think it might need it. I still have a lot of work to do in the room as it is "new construction" and once i get the baseboards and trim finished and the wife finishes furnishing i will have a better idea what the room is going to sound like. The repositioning made a major change.

Thanks Again

Jack