LFE crossover setting...

Farrow

I need some info on subwoofer crossover settings.... I'v read that most recievers use a 80hz crossover setting...If that is true this means that using the sub output on my reciever will miss the 100-80hz gap between the quintets cutoff and my sub...

(I really don't want to run the speaker levels thru...soooo many wires!)

Also does anyone know what the crossover is on the Live 5.1 cards ...I'v got one of those out there for mp3s and such..I may end up missing frequencies there as well!cwm15.gif

------------------

- arrow

This message has been edited by Farrow on 11-06-2001 at 01:25 PM

Farrow -

What type of receiver do you have? For the Soundblaster Card if you use the digital output then all the crossover settings will still be handled by your receiver. If you are using the analog outputs then the crossover would be handled by the speaker system that you connect it to (like the ProMedia 5.1's).

Could you explain a little more about what you are trying to do?

bye,

------------------

...wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world...

My Home Theater Page

This message has been edited by eq_shadimar on 11-06-2001 at 01:12 PM

Ok well......I don't believe you can output sound from the live digitally, the SB Live 5.1 doesn't encode ac3.

(I may be wrong....i'll have to go try and update this again!)...

So I have the dvd player plugged into the ac3 port on the reciever... and the 3 sb live jacks plugged into the reciever 6 channel inputs...(front, rear, sub/center)

So that would mean that the SB Live is cutting off all its audio somewhere and putting the bass out the sub/center channel. The new Audigy cards allow you to set what cutoff frequency to use for the sub channel, but the Live's are preset to ????hz.

------------------

- arrow

This message has been edited by Farrow on 11-06-2001 at 01:24 PM

OKOK, Let me refrase this.....because the way i said it does sound confusing (and somewhat idiotic....lol)

cwm42.gif

I mean the subwoofer crossover frequency.

OK...Got the digital out on the Live Drive IR to work...(the one on the card doesn't LMAO, tell me that makes sense!)....Bit of a loss in volume...but managable.....so now the reciever is handling the frequency crossover...

I think i'm going to have to set the reciever for large speakers...and run all the speakers thru the subs speaker level inputs to fix that gap....sooo many wires....its a fire hazard!

------------------

- arrow

This message has been edited by Farrow on 11-06-2001 at 01:44 PM

Farrow - You are right about having to run speaker level hookups to the sub. Set the fronts ONLY to large, the center/rear to small. Your receiver will direct all the bass from those channels to the fronts. Then the sub will reproduce it since you are going to wire the speaker level inputs for the fronts into the sub.

Also, if it's easier for you to run wires this way, you can run one set of speaker wires to your front speakers, and a second set to the sub, all from the same front speaker output jacks on the receiver. The Quintets have built-in high-pass filters at 100-120hz, so you don't have to filter them at the sub. Set the sub crossover at about 100-120hz and you'll be in business.

Doug

Why the fronts only? Not the rears as well?

I would think that it would be best to have the sub pick up that slack for all 4 satillites...like in the promedia systems...?

Also...moving the sub to the front of the room would make that extra wiring easier...but i'm not sure if it will sound good so close to 2 doorways....i drew a quick diagram to show where i have it.

------------------

- arrow

This message has been edited by Farrow on 11-06-2001 at 03:08 PM

Farrow - Nice drawing. What did you do that in?

Anyhow...

"Why the fronts only? Not the rears as well?"

Looking at your diagram, I see there might be some confusion. Let me restate it. Set all speakers/channels to small except the ones that you are going to hook the sub to. Since you can only put 2 channels into the sub, you would only want those 2 channels set to large, so the receiver will send full frequency to only those 2 channels, and all others set to small so the receiver will route the bass from all other channels to the 2 that are connected to the sub. Most receivers won't let you set fronts to small and rears to large, so I'll be surprised if you can connect the sub to the rear channels and run the rear Quintets through the sub.

Since we are suggesting you connect the sub via speaker level inputs (so that you don't lose any signal from 80-120hz), you will have to set 2 channels to large to allow those bass frequencies to get to the sub. Doing it that way WILL cause the sub to pull up the slack from all the Quintets.

Sub placement is something you'll have to play with. Most people find that putting the sub in the corner generally gives the best results, because the sub uses the walls to amplify the bass. I'd suggest you consider the corner at the right front of the room.

The challenge with putting the sub behind the listening position is that if you have the sub hooked to the front channels, you'll hear some front channel sound coming out of the sub behind you. This is because only frequencies up to about 70hz cannot be localized. Since you will be sending frequencies up to 120hz to the sub, you are likely to hear them coming from behind, rather than in front like they were intended. Again, though, you'll have to play with it.

I hope this made some sense.

Doug

This message has been edited by dougdrake2 on 11-06-2001 at 05:29 PM

I ran the wires to the sub for use in the front with a duplicate main into the speaker level inputs....the reason i wanted to run all 4 thru is just because the rears will now be missing anything from 80 to 100hz....kinda sucks...i think that that would be a design flaw on klipsch's part... but thats assuming that all 5 channels get full range out of DD5.1/DTS....do the rear channels get anything below 100hz? (It won't matter with music because the rear channels are just duplicates)

PS, I just used Paint to draw that...not bad aye..lol

------------------

- arrow

This message has been edited by Farrow on 11-06-2001 at 06:39 PM

They should have variable crossovers.....doesn't make much sense otherwize. Even the new sound cards have it!

But still....you would think that Klipsch would realize that flaw and compensate!

Update....The SB Live 5.1 is only putting stereo sound out the spdif...may be because i'm using the one on the Live Drive...But I can't get the one on the card to work. I think its putting out their proprietary digital din signal...

------------------

- arrow

This message has been edited by Farrow on 11-08-2001 at 12:22 PM