Altec Drivers

bluesboy

I don't think there is a difference. The difference is in the horns. A 511 can be crossed over at 500 Hz. An 811 can be crossed no lower than 800 Hz. THe difference is the HF extension. The 902 will go higher according to Great Plains Audio. You can expect up to 17K out of the 902. You probably can't hear much above that.

I don't think there is a difference. The difference is in the horns. A 511 can be crossed over at 500 Hz. An 811 can be crossed no lower than 800 Hz. THe difference is the HF extension. The 902 will go higher according to Great Plains Audio. You can expect up to 17K out of the 902. You probably can't hear much above that.

If I understand this correctly it sounds like a corner loaded bass bin (perhaps a Klipschorn, Jubilee, etc) combined with a 511 & 902 would make a nice 2-way system. I agree that if it extends to to 17kHz (I assume this is a half power point), this would be enough bandwidth

Spinning through the idea: 1) 2 way cabinet, with 2) electronic crossover for a 3) steep crossover, and 4) time alignment and the benefit of 5) bi-amping.

This would be a very nice and affordable project. Have I forgotten anything?

Good Luck,

-Tom

If I understand this correctly it sounds like a corner loaded bass bin (perhaps a Klipschorn, Jubilee, etc) combined with a 511 & 902 would make a nice 2-way system. I agree that if it extends to to 17kHz (I assume this is a half power point), this would be enough bandwidth

Spinning through the idea: 1) 2 way cabinet, with 2) electronic crossover for a 3) steep crossover, and 4) time alignment and the benefit of 5) bi-amping.

This would be a very nice and affordable project. Have I forgotten anything?

Good Luck,

-Tom

Well, apparently I can't figure out how to use the input device correctly. Tom, what I want to do is build a pair of super La Scalas using 511 horns with 902 or 802 drivers in a 3 way system. By the way Tom, if you're interested I have a pair of K-Horn bass bins for sale.

Well, apparently I can't figure out how to use the input device correctly. Tom, what I want to do is build a pair of super La Scalas using 511 horns with 902 or 802 drivers in a 3 way system. By the way Tom, if you're interested I have a pair of K-Horn bass bins for sale.

Bluesboy,

Thanks for the offer. I already have a pair of K-Horns and no more room in the house. However, I do have a pipe dream of building a 2 way system with time alignment etc (a dream also shared by others). I had originally assumed that the mid/high driver/horn would need to be more exotic (tratrix etc) than a 511/902.

I enjoy designing & building so this would be neat project.

For my purposes, a La Scala may not dig deep enough (keep in mind that I have this strict criterion that the bass must also be extremely accurate). As such, a cabinet with more "loading" (corner or volume) is best for me. Are you contemplating to augment the La Scala with some porting & adjusting the cabinet's volume?

Good luck with your project. Keep us informed.

-Tom

Tom,

How would you go about porting and adjusting the the volume of the La Scala bass bin? The only modification to the stock plan that I was planning on was building the shell out of 1'' MDF instead of 3/4'' like on the new Klipsh model. This in itself is supposed to enhance bass performance.

Don

Tom,

How would you go about porting and adjusting the the volume of the La Scala bass bin? The only modification to the stock plan that I was planning on was building the shell out of 1'' MDF instead of 3/4'' like on the new Klipsh model. This in itself is supposed to enhance bass performance.

Don

There have been various threads on this topic. I certainly have not heard any of the modified versions. As such, I am a bit nervous about trying to "combine" a loaded horn with a ported cabinet. However, maybe they have had good success and there is something that I am missing when thinking about this.

Regarding the 3/4 to 1 inch conversion, I assume this is to reduce any bass being "lost" to cabinet vibration. Increasing mass & density are certainly solutions to the problem. However, it might be more easily done using bracing. I would need to look at the specifics on the construction, but I suspect there is some way to do this. As a simple test, try laying the cabinet on its side and sprinkle some fine sand on the cabinet's surface. Then crank up the sound. You will see where the sand is bouncing around. That is the surface/location where the bracing should be located.

I assume others have already tried this. Perhaps they could guide the discussion.

Good Luck,

-Tom

do you still have the empty cabs for sale?

Speakerfritz,

The bass bins are sitting in my shop waiting for a home. By the way, I've got a pair of new K-33's I can install in the cabinets for an extra 250.00. The price empty is 800.00 plus shipping.

Don

I sent you an email asking if these are original klipsch lower bass bins or clones. If they are original with labels intact, send me pics at the email address I provided in my email.

Won't need the k-33's. i have an assortment of k-33's and other klipsch line of drivers.