Klipsch iFi VS Altec Lansing FX6021 with In-Concert Technology

Hi everyone,

I have best speakers of Altec, it's Altec Lansing FX6021. In my opinion the best computer speakers 2.1 system from all the products ( I don't have chance compare them with iFi's. )

I want buy the iFi speakers from my clean curiosity, but I don't know if necessary to buy it.

What's your opinion ? And I would like to see yours real photos place iFi, because on internet is not enough. It interests me as they are presented on desk and under desk if it walks about subwoofer .

This is my setup :

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/7141/dsc008775en.jpg

PS. Sorry for my english.

Best regards form Poland

I used to sell those Altec Lansing when I worked at the apple store. They are not so bad. Expensive though around 300 dollars I believe? It is more for looks as they are thin and use multiple small speakers. I think they wanted to match it with the newer thin lcd screens. It does not sound bad but for the price the ifi should compete if not beat it. The subwoofer was a bit boomy compared to the ifi as the woofer on the ifi is an 8 inch compared to the I believe dual 5 inch.

You don't wanna see my current layout as itis a total mess.......I do have a college picture.... In it is the promedia ultra subwoofer on bottom, the sws in the middle, and the ifi on top.

Oh btw nice acoustic tile behind the subwoofer I see [:P]

post-13377-1381930066878_thumb.jpg

I have best speakers of Altec, it's Altec Lansing FX6021. In my opinion the best computer speakers 2.1 system from all the products ( I don't have chance compare them with iFi's. )

I want buy the iFi speakers from my clean curiosity, but I don't know if necessary to buy it.

What's your opinion ?

I listened to both of these two speaker systems quite a bit before choosing the iFi over the FX6021.

I was a bit turned off with the physical construction of the FX6021 system, I saw a lot of damage done by consumers misuse and wear and tear. I thought the midrange and treble was very accurate with the FX6021, but was disappointed with bass not sounding real and particular the loss of upper bass above the crossover point. The iFi was not a bright sounding system, but the bass and midrange far surpassed the FX6021 system, listening to rock, R&B, jazz, pop was a whole different experience with the iFi then the FX6021. The construction of the iFi system looked much more expensive, so it was a easy decision. BTW both blended perfectly with my G5 tower.

oh yeah I forgot to mention, the plastic is painted silver and is black underneath which is a sore thumb if you look at them. The ifi with my scratch on my ipod dock shows it is still silver plastic underneath the paint.

Also with the Altec Lansing it might have been the set and the setting, I usually resetted every speaker back to neutral at closing but of course throughout the day everyone goes straight to the bass and treble button and make them all distort like crap...... But it sounded a bit strained at the high volumes that customers always do while the speaker is off so everyone gets jumps when they turn it on. Though it happened to the ifi a few times but no distortion like the others, just loud music.... which impressed the hell out of some people and that sold them though!

I listened to both of these two speaker systems quite a bit before choosing the iFi over the FX6021.

I was a bit turned off with the physical construction of the FX6021 system, I saw a lot of damage done by consumers misuse and wear and tear. I thought the midrange and treble was very accurate with the FX6021, but was disappointed with bass not sounding real and particular the loss of upper bass above the crossover point. The iFi was not a bright sounding system, but the bass and midrange far surpassed the FX6021 system, listening to rock, R&B, jazz, pop was a whole different experience with the iFi then the FX6021. The construction of the iFi system looked much more expensive, so it was a easy decision. BTW both blended perfectly with my G5 tower.

Thanks Jay for your nice fotos ( specjaly good looking iFi sub compare visual with Promedias ) and thx Larry for your short review.

I was buy FX6021 for ( in the conversion ) 170$ , but iFi is not Available in my country. I must import them from Germany, so the cost iFi is more more expensive ( 370$ )... It's big difference of price.. for me. Is proper to Pay extra too iFi ( About 200$ more from altec ) ?

Oh btw nice acoustic tile behind the subwoofer I see [:P]

Thanks Jay :) On this foto shows better :P

Posted Image

Did you put a marble block under the subwoofer? Very nice!

The acoustic foam looks nice too, does it really help?

Also I do not think it is worth it to buy the ifi over the altec and force you to spend 370 dollars more. Does poland use 120 volt electricity or 220? You know you can buy refurbished ifi for 179.99 and have someone ship them to you? or 150 us dollars at costco (a wholesale company)

Hi There,

I also own FX6021, MX5021, IFi, and iPod Hi-Fi.

FX6021 and Klipsch IFi are completely different in terms of sound character. I wouldn't say that IFi is an upgrade or better sound quality when compared to FX6021.

FX6021 has a very lifely exciting sound due to it's treble, detailed.

The first you would notice when you listen to IFi is the recessed treble in IFi, makes it boring and unbearable at first especially after coming from FX6021.

But After you listen to Klipsch for the whole day, you would notice how sweet the mid-range sound, how relaxing, airy, soothing, amazing soundstange, not fatiguing and of course great deep subs.

So It really depends on which character of sound you prefer. Depending on the type of music you listen to, it could sound better on FX6021 or Klipsch IFi.

I paid USD$120 for my FX6021 and USD$530 for my Klipsch IFi.

I just wish Klipsch has included a little bit more adjustment to its treble.

Unless you are a very sound maniac audiophile class, I don't think it's a good idea to buy IFi.

Bottom Line:

IFi, produces every single sound beautifully, more quality, with emotion, feelings.(Amazing for SACD, Jazz, Chesky, DMP recording)

FX6021: Detailed, lively, treble(Sibilance)could be fatiguing. Mid-range like most cheap conventional computer speaker, Sub is no comparison to IFi

Where did you buy the ifi for $530 US dollars? that is a ripoff!

also you stated "I just wish Klipsch has included a little bit more adjustment to its treble."

There is no treble adjustment? Klipsch belief is that all treble buttons do is add distortion. That is why no promedia equipment offers treble enhancements, only bass.

Also are you on axis with the horns? a little bit off axis and it sounds completely different.

Yeah it's a ripped off. Pissed me off too. but I have no choice where I come from no bargain for Klipsch IFi.

I bought it from www.leapfrogglobal.com

since I'm currently located in Indonesia so there is really no other alternative.

Yes I'm in Axis with the tweeter. I just needed a little bit more treble since I was coming from FX6021 and, Sennheiser 650. I guess it's just my ears have been accustomed to something a little bit brighter. All I need is just a notch brighter hehe.

The Transient in IFi is just amazing makes it sound rich.

Did you put a marble block under the subwoofer? Very nice!

The acoustic foam looks nice too, does it really help?

There are acoustic penels. That you can buy it on ebay, some internet shops and specializing audio-shops with Hi-End Audio. Difference in sound is considerable, but It depends also from place and amounts of panels, Depending on your acoustic specificity of accommodation. In My case the bass has become much better ( Softest and bigger-greatest )

The huge correction of sound we get Suppressing Interior the subwoofer.

Subwoofer of altec is factory exactly suppresing.

I advice suppress interior Klipsch iFi subwoofer, becouse it's empty.

those don't have much on the ifi's. Let's just take a look at the drivers. I think they ones in the altec are like .75 inch drivers with no realy midrange driver and a tiny sub. Ever look at good speakers? They have ranging drivers to fill in the gaps and such, but more over, the altec's just don't have the sharpness to the music.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hej again.

I sold Altec and I bought the iFi. I have a some questions... :)

1) If your iFi's playing with very small amount a treble?

2) If bass from subwoofer is slightly audible ( weak ) when it's adjust subwoofer on "flat +/- 0db" ( But it works in spite of loudspeaker soundly - big amplitude of membrane )

3) What is a difference between normal Ifi and "Refurbished" and how I check that - which I have ?

4) I have distortion when I connect iFi with my computer ( soundcard Audigy 2ZS ) when I surpas 50% volume soudcard .... ? Tell me why :( ?

Very thanks for answer :)

My beautiful Klipsch fotos :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hej again.

I sold Altec and I bought the iFi. I have a some questions... :)

1) If your iFi's playing with very small amount a treble?

It can be weak I guess if you can call it that, I prefer to call it neutral. If you dislike it raise the treble volume a bit

2) If bass from subwoofer is slightly audible ( weak ) when it's adjust subwoofer on "flat +/- 0db" ( But it works in spite of loudspeaker soundly - big amplitude of membrane )

middle with the double orange bars is flat and not all the way down.

3) What is a difference between normal Ifi and "Refurbished" and how I check that - which I have ?

none difference and the refurbished i believe have a R or so..

4) I have distortion when I connect iFi with my computer ( soundcard Audigy 2ZS ) when I surpas 50% volume soudcard .... ? Tell me why :( ?

It was meant for the ipod which has low gain. I have an Xfi which i put at 60% volume or you will hear distortion. Remember the ifi was meant for ipods which have very low gain.

Very thanks for answer :)

My beautiful Klipsch fotos :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image