Colter goes digital

With the lcd comment, I still do not understand why they put them in professional cameras. I mean its bad enough trying to find the right moment but then looking to see if you got it right while wasting valuable probably a minute of looking at it. Also they are small and I think a whole trust issue comes to play to know that you trust your equipment and the viewfinder.

Also you said transparencies? you mean slide film? I been out of the whole photo scence for a while..... Maybe I should take my Hasselblad for a spin

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes Jay 'transparencies' is another term for slide film. But slides are normally made out of 35mm only. I would say that National Geo used some medium format as well. I did some magazine shots one time and they required medium format transparencies.

There are many reasons for pros to use the LCD screen other than to view images. In only 30 days, here's how I have set mine up:

I have it set so that it does not automatically come up after each image is taken. This saves battery life and computer time and does not take my concentration away from the party. There is a single button I can push to 'check' my exposure if I need to.

There is a 'blinky' system so that any part of the image that is overexposed on the digital will flash black, then white to indicate areas where detail is blasted.

I can overlay a histogram of the image over the image itself, giving further exposure details. Or shoot a white/grey/black card and look for three evenly placed spikes in the LCD.

It is a great tool, like a polaroid, to show the model or client what effect is being strived for to keep their mind on our common goal, or to gain the trust of a shy client, or gain their approval ona particular pose or technique.

At the end of wedding receptions, I take a long break while my assistant is packing up. I've put the camera on the table on 'slide show' mode to review the day's work- it's kind of a marketing tool- people have seen me working hard all day and are curious. I know photographers who take computers and actually create a small show for the early part of the day that they show later at the reception but I think this takes away from the bride's day. But a few curious aunties or future brides gathering around me is okay.

So, just so Michael doesn't get too far ahead of himself. (Love those shots Michal) I am certainly not a pro photog., at least not still photography. Below is a shot of my daughter, available light, 35mm. She was a lot younger too, considering she is now 27. Camera was old Spotmatic with 85mm/1.8 lens, and wasn't really posed. She just ended up there as I was going to take her pic so long ago.

I would like to see a few shots from other forum members. Not to go overboard, but what you might consider a nice shot. I've actaully got tons...

Bruce

post-7149-13819301871994_thumb.jpg

That's pretty sexy, but I'll just wait until I can afford a digital back for my Hassie.

Why do I love the square compositon so much?!?!??!! It just ROCKS!

Michael

You know what colter, up till around age 7 I thought everyone's pictures were square! All my and my brother's baby pictures are 5X5.