Horn to Driver Gasket

RAD

Just wanted to share this with everybody. I purchased a set of horn to driver gaskets from Bob Crites for $6.00. I didn't know if mine were bad or not but figured it couldn't hurt. When I went to install them, about a 5 minute job, I was surprised to find that there were no gaskets installed in the first place. Maybe Klipsch forgot to install them in my Belles during assembly. Who knows? Anyway after installing them I went to listen to them honestly not expecting to hear a difference, but WOW! An immediatly noticable improvment in the clarity of the midrange, especially on vocals. I really can't believe the overall improvment. It is depressing to think about what I have been missing this whole time. I, like many of you I'm sure, have spent hundreds of dollars on upgrades. Some worked--some did not. But I have never spent so little to gain so much! I encourage you to check to make sure that there are good gaskets between your horns and drivers and if not spend $6.00 to replace them. I promise you will not be disappointed. Thanks Bob!

I had my gaskets in my LaScalas (since 1978) however, upon taking the K-55 out for Mike to do his testing with, I discovered one of the gaskets had been compressed and distorted in shape. Rather than being like a hose gasket with a perfect outer and inner circle, I had the outer circle ok, but the inner circle was more oblong. Although I'm currently clueless as to if it had an effect on the sound or not (and since they were cracking) I went ahead & bought some too.

Put them in last night, finally got Al's ES networks installed in the cabinets...and my driver wires were too short [:'(] [:'(] Sooooooooo, now I gotta git me some wire to connect the drivers to the network and see how it all comes together.

I think I'm sold on the sound of the new LaScala's also. I'm going to check out making some wedges on my original pair and for the third "beater box" I am obtaining, I'm going to screw & glue some MDF to the sides also & see how it sounds.

Back to the gaskets...Bob told me a lot of people have the habit of over tightening them. I know when I went to take my drivers OFF, (ya, it's been 28 years) but, they WERE on very tight and it took both hands to break them loose.

I had my gaskets in my LaScalas (since 1978) however, upon taking the K-55 out for Mike to do his testing with, I discovered one of the gaskets had been compressed and distorted in shape. Rather than being like a hose gasket with a perfect outer and inner circle, I had the outer circle ok, but the inner circle was more oblong. Although I'm currently clueless as to if it had an effect on the sound or not (and since they were cracking) I went ahead & bought some too.

Put them in last night, finally got Al's ES networks installed in the cabinets...and my driver wires were too short [:'(] [:'(] Sooooooooo, now I gotta git me some wire to connect the drivers to the network and see how it all comes together.

I think I'm sold on the sound of the new LaScala's also. I'm going to check out making some wedges on my original pair and for the third "beater box" I am obtaining, I'm going to screw & glue some MDF to the sides also & see how it sounds.

Back to the gaskets...Bob told me a lot of people have the habit of over tightening them. I know when I went to take my drivers OFF, (ya, it's been 28 years) but, they WERE on very tight and it took both hands to break them loose.

Interesting thread.

I wonder if different material for the gasket would change the sound.My 902's came with a cardboard gasket.It looked to be in good shape but I wondered at the time if a rubber gasket would change the sound.

Coytee,

I am pondering some vibe mods for my Scala bass bins.I felt that encasing the bin with MDF and creating a cavity of about 2 in then filling with sand would kill those nasty vibes.Also looking at some way to further isolate the driver itself from the cab and its vibes.To take things a step further spike the cab with cone feet.The cavity I refer to would be around the sides and the back side too.

Greg

tell us more about these vibs.

I have three sets of lascala's and none are vibrating...I have 4 amps that each can crank out at least 130 watts per channel, all amps have at lest 5 channels. still no vibs...even do PA and block parties.

I have seen folks put in the horizontal triangles on each side of the dog house....so some folks do seem to have vib issues.

Could you have a bad bottom plate seal or a loose bottom plate?

Also remember a discussion a while back about what the expected low end of a lascala should be...and some suggestion that sometimes incorporating a sub woofer along with a pair of lascala's was a better course of action than efforts to push the bottom end

Do you have stock lascala's? or are these DIY unit's?