Velodyne FSR-15 with Klipschorns

LousyTourist

Hi all,

I bought an FSR-15 to cover the bottom octave that my khorns

didn't touch. My interpretation of bottom octave is 20-40Hz, and the

second octave as 40-80Hz, which I think is correct. My initial setting

was at 40Hz, as that was as low as the variable crossover on the FSR-15

would go. Then I tuned it by ear and was somewhat surprized when I

ended up with the xover set closer to 100hz(!)

I dragged out some old

response graphs and noticed that while the khorns dropped like a rock

after 32Hz, they were on their way down as early as 50-80Hz. Along with

the graphs came out my dusty rat shack SPL meter and the Stereophile

test CD with its bass decade warble tones.

Adjusting by meter I

ended up with the crossover around 80Hz and a fairly flat response

between 100 and 20Hz, with a 5Db dip around 50 and what must be a room

response generating a 5dB peak around 20hz.

Is this consistent

with other's experience? I was toying with the idea of a Behringers

Ultra Curve thingie to get it really flat, but perhaps I am getting too

picky?

I run two (I did have three at one point) of them and I use an 80Hz crossover point, I tried 60Hz but I did not like it. 100Hz would be too high for me and approaching the boomy bass zone even though I don't think the FSR-15 is even capable of boomy bass. I run 4 Klipschorn's in an HT environment.

The bass coming from my Klipschorn's is mostly dependent on the source content, I typically run the system without the subwoofers engaged. I do turn them on when I pop a DVD in though.

Frz, I'm glad you responded. Isn't it odd how we decide things, but I had a chance to buy the FSR-15, didn't have a lot of experience with that model, and when I saw your sig line, I thought, well, here's a guy who likes them well enough to get two. Can't be all bad.

And although people told me I'd have trouble finding a sub to keep up with the khorns, I think the FSR does just fine.

Sounds like your settings are close to mine. I wasn't happy at 40Hz, or 60, and finally settled at 80.

Velodyne's upper echelon subwoofers do a great job covering the deep bass,they are very clean and defined.Great match for any speakers in need of a deep bass help.

I set my crossover to 60Hz with my HGS18,80Hz would be as high as I would ever go.100hz starts to enter the directional/boom zone.And who wants to cut a sub as high as 100Hz???Only a good option or should I say must with very small sats that roll off very high(120Hz).

80Hz will be fine as long as the sub sits alongside the from wall with the mains.

Nice sub by the way.I did have one a while back til i changed a few things in my system,I ran them with my lascalas at 60hz and they did excellent for filling in bottom end,I found the sub was a liitle better sounding at 40 and 50hz.I wouldnt run it over 60hz what ever you do.