soundcards

Fizzlemizzle

Well, I used integrated for sometime with my PM 2.1's and then got a creative labs Soundblaster live! from a friend for free, and its been great for me, alot better than integrated. When i build my next comp, i plan on getting Audigy 2 zs.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm curious to hear what others have to say. Any feedback would help. But the Echo Indigo IO or DJ model sound like good notebook extensions. I was also thinking about M-Audio Firewire Audiophile or M-Audio Transit (USB).

Any suggestions?

I guess you have a laptop.... The fact is the M audio sounds great but the fact is its mostly for imput rather than output. Its designed to directly imput the guitar or so into a laptop (mostlikely apples) I have the Xfi and I used to use the turtle beach santacruz card.

Any card built for "input" must have the same fidelity output so that the qualities of the input can be realized.

Getting the DAC (digital to analog converter) out of the computer is

probably one of the best things you can do for your computer sound.

Been using an M-Audio Revoltion for a while now. Found it to be a big improvement over my previous Audigy 2. Was using digital output to my HT with both.

While I have felt burned by creative somewhat, I have heard many good things about the X-Fi. Can't comment on it though as I have yet to have an opportunity to hear it.

Any card built for "input" must have the same fidelity output so that the qualities of the input can be realized.

Getting the DAC (digital to analog converter) out of the computer is

probably one of the best things you can do for your computer sound.

Yes but you are paying for something many times more expensiver due to the inputs which many do not need unless they record.

• 3 weeks later...

Read reviews, imo this card is a welcome alternative for those of us are tired of CL and there fantastic drivers

AuzenTech HDA X-PLOSION 7.1 DTS Connect DDL Sound Card PCI 32BIT Optical Output

DDL, a real-time encoding technology, converts any audio signal into a Dolby® Digital bit stream for transport and playback through a home theater system. With it, your PC or game console can be hooked up to your Dolby® Digital-equipped audio/video receiver or digital speaker system via a single digital connection, ensuring the integrity of the audio signal.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure that M-Audio cards use the VIA Envy 24 chipset. This is fine if you want to listen to music or pass thru a dvd in 5.1 but it can in noway compare or come close to the X-Fi. Gaming with the Envy 24 is about like gaming with onboard audio. I wouldn't touch a M-Audio card unless you're creating music and only then.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Wrong. I owned the Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1LT (same SPU that's on the M-Audio Revolution) before moving to the X-Fi, and only in the Gaming dept. does the X-Fi truely outperform the VIA Envy 24-HT SPU. I'll actually goes as far as saying that music with the Audiotrak sounded just a tad bit better than that of the X-Fi (although that is subjective), it's pretty much factual that the VIA Envy chip is atleast on par with that of the X-Fi in terms of music and movie playback.

EDIT: I meant to quote Fouraces when I typed the above statement.