Whats the SB Live 5.1 subwoofer crossover?

Farrow

Ok the SB Live has 3 outputs for 5.1 sound...I have them all plugged into my reciever...I want to know where it is cutting the signals for the sub output channel. My quintets cut out at 100hz...but the sub redirection on the live may be below that...so i would be missing from that crossover up to 100hz.

------------------

- arrow

Farrow -

If you are using the analog 5.1 channel outputs of the Soundblaster and running them into your 5.1 inputs of your receiver then there is no crossover. On a typical receiver there is no bass management in the analog domain. This is what people have been complaining about with DVD-A and SACD since these formats require analog hookups (becasue of copyright concerns) for their full potential. The newer DVD-A and SACD palyers are incorporating bass management for the analog output within the players.

Bottom line is that in your setup you do not have any bass management and each output is seeing exactly what the sound engineer recorded. If there happens to be material on the main or surround channels below 100Hz you are losing that information. If you want to use the bass mangement in your receiver then you will need to use the digital output of the SB card.

Hope this helps,

------------------

...wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world...

My Home Theater Page

This message has been edited by eq_shadimar on 11-08-2001 at 01:33 PM

The Live 5.1 cards' digital output jack can do double duty as the analog subwoofer and center output and when in Digital mode it now offers 3 SPDIF streams instead of 2. When its used with the FPS2000, DTT2500 or a stereo mini-jack to dual RCA cable it will still send out the front and rear output as the previous Live cards. When used with the new digital DIN input on the DTT3500 system it will offer also support 5.1 for games. The output is above 0.5V standard but below 5.0V and will not work with the Digital Output Module

The analog subwoofer channel can be selected as LFE out (5.1 mode only) or as a mix of all other channels.

Meaning that it makes a cutoff somewhere and sends the below frequencies out to the subwoofer-in on a 6 channel input. I can't find the specification anywhere!

I emailed creative but have yet to get a reply... I also know that the new Audigy line allows you to select what frequency you would like as the cutoff. (I have provided a picture of this that is available at www.3dss.com)

------------------

- arrow

This message has been edited by Farrow on 11-08-2001 at 04:11 PM

Ah I have never noticed the mixing option before and I was refering to the 5.1 output function. Sorry about that. Humm maybe contct SB tech support of post in one of the computer section on this board. I bet someone there knows.

------------------

...wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world...

My Home Theater Page