Muse Model 18 sub if you looking

steamer

Two 10" woofers,and yes the sub is 15 years old.The potential buyer should like to see the condition of the sourrounds on the woofers.As foam,compressed or not dries with time and becomes more and more fragile(if it is not rubber).

Dual 10" similar config to REL larger sub.I doubt this sub is at the same level or close,the REL uses a creative loading and VOLT drivers.

Should be a fine music sub for a two channel system.Too often these days all you see is mindless displacement and huge drivers with huge peak to peak travel.

where are the specs? Being an 18" driver in such a small cabinet I can't imagine very good performance unless it has insane power handling and gobs of EQ...

Mike,

The specs are at this review link

http://www.museelectronics.com/18_91.pdf

I have heard this sub in a 2 channel music machine and was impressed with it ability to blend with and not destroy the higher freqencies passed thru it.Probably not a great HT sub depending on the size of the room.

Greg

Not to hijack this thread but...

Reading the Stereophile review I can see only a handful of subs worthy of being matched in a very high end two channel music system.

These subwoofers include (from my experience)...

Velodyne DD and HGS series subs(all models)

REL subs(all those I've heard,and I heard most)

Aerial Acoustics SW12

Revel B15(when the parametric EQ is dialed in well,only then)

Sunfire EQ subs(EQ function used,sub cut no higher than 40Hz!)

The rest icluding the RSW subs FAIL,no matter how you position them or play with the provided controls.SVS fits there with the Ultra,again cut very low around 60Hz or below.

The rest of the ISD equipped subs are simply not there,no matter what some claim.

Oh I forget the venerable Paradigm Servo 15 be it the first or second versions.

REL's Stentor stands out as a pure music sub,and may be one I will have to get,using only one 10" Volt woofer this sub plays a disaperance act,onyxtending.NOTHING more! Impressive in its flawless match with any speakers you can throw at it.

From the review it sounds like this Muse may be in REL's backyard,sub bass quality wise.

Klipsch's RSW subs will match exactly with Klipsch R series speakers,bot having similar character.Klipsch is about impact and the RSW's are some of the most punchy subs made,when crossed at 80Hz.

Mike,

I have heard this sub in a 2 channel music machine and was impressed with it ability to blend with and not destroy the higher freqencies passed thru it.Probably not a great HT sub depending on the size of the room.

Interesting, dual 10's makes a lot more sense [:)] I guess the only downside is the complete lack of power and the only question in my mind is how linear does it behave at normal volumes (as it will be operating closer to its max than a sub capable of way more). It probably doesn't have the dynamic tracking ability to keep up with horns...(which is one of the things Klipsch stresses a lot in their subwoofer designs - thus all the punchy comments).

Mike,

Interesting, dual 10's makes a lot more sense [:)] I guess the only downside is the complete lack of power and the only question in my mind is how linear does it behave at normal volumes (as it will be operating closer to its max than a sub capable of way more). It probably doesn't have the dynamic tracking ability to keep up with horns...(which is one of the things Klipsch stresses a lot in their subwoofer designs - thus all the punchy comments).

Mike,

Your probably right about dynamics but then you might be surprised.I guess I should have said this would be a good match for the smaller Heritage line,no way does it keep up with the bigger boys.I saw it on audiogon and remembered my listening expierience as positive.So I threw it out there.BTW have you heard it in a system,it is very musical and can punch when needed(My impressions were in a romm 10'x18').

Greg

Here is a sub for consideration

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?homesubw&1156441804

a link to the Muse site and the review by Stereophile

http://www.museelectronics.com/18.html

Greg

Tried one of these before,Performance like a ksw12,Not very impressive[:(]

OK.at least you have heard one.Interesting different impressions.Hard to recommend anything around here,best I just not to go there.

Greg

That thing reminds me of a Large Mirage sub that I test drove here 10 years ago . Plenty of BOOM , rattled everything in the house , but sounded like Garbage no matter where I placed it in the room .

It's not worth your time or anybody elses !

Trust me